A Level or BTEC?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kiwimum

A Level or BTEC?

Post by Kiwimum »

My arty dd1 has applied to two 6th forms, one offers textiles/design as an A level and the other as a BTEC.
I've checked the university/college courses that she has said she would like to go on to and both qualifications are accepted for entry but would one of them be looked on more favourably than the other?
Also, if she changes her mind and decides not to go on to further education would the BTEC be the better one to have as it is a vocational qualification?
Daogroupie

Re: A Level or BTEC?

Post by Daogroupie »

I would say the A level will be taken more seriously than the BTEC. DG
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

For the first question - just email some admission tutors. They're generally really helpful :)

For the second - I imagine that saying "I have 3 A levels" does just sound better as a first impression, unless whoever she was telling had a good understanding of what a BTEC at that level involved.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Thank you for your replies.

From what I can work out there doesn't seem to be much difference in what is covered in the two qualifications but perhaps the perception that the A level is more difficult to obtain would make it more desirable.

I will contact some admission tutors to get their views - thanks for the suggestion.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now