GCSE U turn

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

GCSE U turn

Post by scary mum »

Don't worry, Mr Gove, I'm sure no-one will be thinking maybe you rushed into things :lol: :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21363396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Midget Man

Re: GCSE U turn

Post by Midget Man »

I'm just wondering what this does to those currently yr9 and yr10 who will be made to do the linear exams. Will all the children afterwards then be able to go back to modules left right and centre and be able to re sit again if they mess up? That would seem very unfair :(
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There will be a new eight-subject measure of GCSEs, including English and maths, three subjects out of sciences, languages, history and geography and three other subjects, such as art, music or RE.
So a complete about turn from the "no arts required" EBacc requirements (English, mathematics, two sciences, a foreign language and history or geography) to a compulsory inclusion of arts/non core academic subjects.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

Midget Man wrote:I'm just wondering what this does to those currently yr9 and yr10 who will be made to do the linear exams. Will all the children afterwards then be able to go back to modules left right and centre and be able to re sit again if they mess up? That would seem very unfair :(
I doubt they will change back. However many pupils in effect took their GCSEs as linear exams under the old system. My daughter took her GCSEs last year and took all her exams at the end of year 11.
rubidium

Post by rubidium »

I am curious as to how often the coalition ministers take advice from relevant experts from their respective industries.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Sallyltb wrote:
Midget Man wrote:I'm just wondering what this does to those currently yr9 and yr10 who will be made to do the linear exams. Will all the children afterwards then be able to go back to modules left right and centre and be able to re sit again if they mess up? That would seem very unfair :(
I doubt they will change back. However many pupils in effect took their GCSEs as linear exams under the old system. My daughter took her GCSEs last year and took all her exams at the end of year 11.
I hope so! Would seem terribly unfair if this were to then change and only a few years cohorts couldn't re sit to get better grades and then every one else after can :(

Just waiting quite nervously for the press conference to see what else is said.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

The only side of it that was made clear to me was that they aren't now going ahead with just one exam boar. Will the new regime of exams at the end of yr11 still be continued to be implemented?
Will the schools still be measured on those key subjects? Or have widened it?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Give it a few weeks, I'm sure Gove will come out with something else equally unthought out. He can't help himself.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

This really is a joke isn't it? My son has to hand in his gcse choices tomorrow, I doubt his choices will change but going in to this not knowing if the course structure will be changing or not is horrible. They couldn't just change the exam format and requirements for current yr9's can they? These kids will have already made their choices by what information they were given already.
I just hope they atleast keep it fair by continuing with making everyone take exams at the end of yr11 where possible.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

From reading the BBC article I understand that the linear exams will stay, it's just they won't have the new (old) "harder!" exams, or insist that they sit for the Ebacc certificate . I also note that the new spread of 8 subjects on which a school is to be judged include computer science as one of the sciences which can be included :?

Of course, for the last couple of years schools have been judged on an Ebacc that didn't exist when the current cohort were choosing their options. Same again, then, Mr Gove? :evil:
scary mum