WUS 11+ post- pre-test interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mama-de-dos

WUS 11+ post- pre-test interviews

Post by mama-de-dos »

To anyone familiar with the WUS 11+ application process (if your ds is sitting for it this year or has done so in a former year):

When we picked up ds after this morning's testing session, we were handed a letter informing that invitations for interviews would be posted on Wednesday the 6th for interviewing beginning next Monday. Do they send these invitations via email or only via "snail mail"?

Does anyone have a sense for how many of the 45 invitees would be offered places in the end, given that a number of the boys will end up accepting places at other schools?

Thanks!
pebbles

Re: WUS 11+ post- pre-test interviews

Post by pebbles »

In the past they only took 20 11+ boys , last year they took more so perhaps they are more flexible about the numbers depending on the quality of applicants. So I would say your chances of a place at this stage are quite good. I am sure they will over offer too.
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

Not too long now... Expecting the snail mail today. Good luck!
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

Well, never did find out if I would receive an email because I went ahead and called the school around mid-day...happily found out that DS made it through to interview; however, not counting chickens over here yet because they're only taking 24 and it's hard for me to imagine that 21 boys would end up taking Colet Court or KCS or other school offers, which means that it's not a done deal. DS was given a Day 1 interview, which some on various discussions here have suggested may mean a relatively higher score on the test, but I have no idea how much credence to give this speculation...
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

Congrats Mama-de-dos! My ds also being interviewed today. What do you think about the lenght of the interview? 15 min to do a verbal comprehension AND get to know the child seems a bit short.. anyhow, fingers crossed and good luck! Hope your speculations about the early interview are true, however in our case, may also be an alphabetical order...
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

Plus11--
Ha, perhaps alphabetical in our case, too! Actually, it makes more sense to me that they would arrange it that way.

Thanks for the tip. 15 minutes is really short. I'm thinking that the results of the written exam must figure very highly in their final selections. There is a lot about this process that I find bewildering.

I wish the best to you and yours as well....that DS will continue to give his best efforts and that you will continue to hold up in the anxiety of waiting!

pebbles--
Thanks for the encouragement...I know I'll feel a huge sense of relief once this interview is under the belt!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

good luck to you both!

Am sure that 15 mins is plenty for an experienced teacher to be chatting with a 10-11 year old to get an idea of how they think
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

We had extremely happy news last Friday (we live outside the country currently and are moving to London, so we asked for email notification) from WUS telling us our DS was accepted for 11+ in September!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank the moderators (specifically herman munster on this board) and the many kind people who have taken the time to provide patient advice and feedback for often-clueless posters like myself. Yes, there are snarky comments sometimes but for every snarky comment there are two (or more :D ) helpful and kind remarks. And I'm sure that for the moderators it can feel rather like a thankless task sometimes . . .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now