Tiffin Girls school catchment area being implemented

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sanj

Tiffin Girls school catchment area being implemented

Post by sanj »

Hello,

All the parents who wish to send their girls to Tiffins Girls school need to be aware that from 2013 the school plans to implement the post code catchment area as it is open to everyone now.

So we need to oppose this move by filling in the consultation feedback form which you can find on their website

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls school catchment area being implemented

Post by tiffinboys »

Fine, opposed as desired, :wink: , in favour of distance policy or a catchment which in line with the rationale given by TGS (less travelling, less testing costs, a significant number of children from that postcode etc.)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please be aware that a previous thread on this topic was removed from the forum after it descended into racial abuse.

We will not hestitate to remove this thread if it goes the same way.

Sally-Anne
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SA, you are absolutely justified for that.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Yes it's good to see moderators now challenging racist comments whereas previously they were left on the forum until there was like for like response.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

I wondered where that thread went!

When I initally read it, it was merely a poster indicating the grounds on which they had objected to the proposal. A seemingly innocent post (to me).

It never ceases to amaze me how the issue of the Tiffin schools and the current non-catchment area causes emotions to run so high and to descend to such levels of abuse (racial or otherwise).
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Including Southall ( 80% Asian apparently) in the catchment area was an objection as this discriminated against white people (according to one contributor).

So is this so innocent ?

Perhaps the real objection is that S Asians are getting into grammar schools and other groups are not so happy about this and in order to give their children a better chance of passing let's post and post about unfair catchment areas,commuting time,"local" kids ,too much tutoring etc etc etc
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

IronMikeTyson wrote:Including Southall ( 80% Asian apparently) in the catchment area was an objection as this discriminated against white people (according to one contributor).

So is this so innocent ?
I think the grounds that the original poster was objecting to was that there were a lot of other areas that are closer in distance that have been excluded from the catchment area - so why should an area so far away be included.

I believe grammar school places should be on ability not on post code. and if distance is going to come into it, then it should purely be on distance not on selected post codes!
Last edited by 999 mum on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

I think the grounds that the original poster was objecting to was that there were a lot of other areas that are closer in distance that have been excluded from the catchment area - so why should an area so far away be included
So why mention the racial profile of the area and why object on the grounds of racial discrimination ?
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

IronMikeTyson wrote:So why mention the racial profile of the area and why object on the grounds of racial discrimination ?
I think (and remember I am not the original poster) it was to the effect that it could disadvantage unintentionally other races that lived closer but in the wrong postcodes.

Why should other areas that are closer to the school than Southall be excluded from the catchment area?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now