Revision

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suesole

Revision

Post by Suesole »

Hi All

Can anyone tell me how much revision we should be doing per night now ? We have the Bucks exam in a month and are doing approx 2 papers per night ! (As set by our tutors) but already we are finding marks slipping towards the end of this week we started at 92% and are now at 42% and not even able to finish the 2nd paper :(

We are pulling are hair out....

hellpppp!!!!!!!!! We feel this is too much.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think this is too much - you don't want them to lose confidence by getting lower scores.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Suesole,

Do you mean two 50mn papers per night? It also seems excessive to me. I would say that one paper a night is a lot, but two?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sue

Absolutely too much!

My students are on 1 test a week plus their vocab cards.

What tests are being used?

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

If students are completing two papers per day of the 80 questions 50 minute type I don´t think that there are enough papers in the whole 11+ publishing market to be able to do this without repeating a paper.

For Bucks there are only a small number of publishers who write 80 questions, 21 question type, 50 minute papers.

Regards

Mike
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Patricia

We are using a Slough tutor and the papers are given to us in a booklet. We started the week with a couple of 20 questions refreshers and towards the end of the week were doing 2 80 question papers, familiarisation and then proper tests. My son has gone to classes this morning so I will post later what his homework is for this week...

Thanks for all your comments. My son is very upset at the moment and doesn't want to do anything....The most frustrating thing is he can do it but has no incentive. (yes we have tried bribary and threats!).

Sue.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

My reaction to this is, use the tutor in your own way. Use what you find useful, but don't feel that you have to follow the instructions to the letter.
Just my opinion....
cordi

Post by cordi »

I agree with above. Use the tutor in your own way,you're paying, take from it what you like.We are also using that particular tutor group,dd likes the tests though and is happy to do them but all that homework over the summer holidays we didn't bother overly much about and she had probably done about half of it by the time we went back.I wasn't ruining everyones holidays for her homework.Its funny,but the nearer we come to the tests the more relaxed I'm getting about it!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Good for you and your daughter cordi!

I agree 100% with all the posters who feel that Suesole's son is being far too much homework.

Do post back on this week's "boot camp regime" Sue, and we will try to help you decide what is reasonable and what is just downright madness!

Sally-Anne
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Homework for this week....

Finish 2 papers we didn't do last week
Maths bk6 s c urran - 4 pages.
S Daughtrey graded test papers 1 - whole book
secondary selection portfolio athey educational -all 6 papers.

Can any of you recommend what we should do rather than what we have been advised to do !

Thanks everyone this post has been a great help.

:?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now