There's a lovely thrush in the garden

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

There's a lovely thrush in the garden

Post by pheasantchick »

However much I hate this cold, freezing weather, it does encourage me to put extra bird food out, and I do get alot of nice feathered visitors to the garden.

At the moment, there is a thrush outside, which I don't usually get. Earlier today we also had a magpie, another not so frequent visitor. I've also seen blackbirds, various blue and great/coal ****, robins, collered doves, and squirrels. I haven't seen too many starlings this year, and in the past (during the really heavy snow) have had woodpeckers (Very exciting) in the garden.
Samlet

Re: There's a lovely thrush in the garden

Post by Samlet »

Ah - I love my working at home days. View from my window today is a grey building in a grey street with some grey sky. Sigh
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My desk is on the third floor of our building and we are not in a built up area. I get an excellent view of red kites circling around the place.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

:mrgreen:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Birds are one of my great joys. Thrushes are my absolute favourite and we are lucky enough to have mistle thrush here (lots of apple trees covered in mistletoe) as well as the occasional fieldfare. We also have nesting greater spotted woodpeckers and little owls in our garden, and at the moment 3 jays raiding our bird feeders.

We have starlings in murmuration at the top of the road every night. People come to film them and it's a great sight. Downside for us is that they raid our chickens' feed hoppers and it's costing us a flipping fortune!

Love the way the coal t its got edited there. They are so cute though aren't they?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd love to see starlings en masse for real. Only seen it on TV and it absolutely fascinates me.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:I'd love to see starlings en masse for real. Only seen it on TV and it absolutely fascinates me.
Every night here. And it is amazing yes, especially if the sunset is a good one. They really do seem to be able to act as one.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My thrush seems quite feeble compared to red kites and owls!

I did wonder whether my t it's would be edited!

What bird do does everyone use? I used to use Jacobi Jayne but recently bought RSPB and Bill Oddies. It doesn't quite seem to attract so any birds.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Red kites & green woodpeckers chez scary. We do have lots of others but I'm not up on birds. Maybe I need a book...
scary mum
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Lots of chattering magpies and jays here. Plus coal and long-tailed t its!

We would be thrilled by an owl as the DCs are mad for them at the moment and there is a bit of an owl-related craft frenzy in our house.

We used to live in Hove and enjoyed the starlings whirling around the West Pier - but I think that it has totally disintegrated now, so suppose they have gone. Sad, it was very beautiful and atmospheric
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now