March the 1st-what happens?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fizzypops

March the 1st-what happens?

Post by fizzypops »

Please forgive me for asking this silly question: another parent told me that if my DD didn't pass the first preference school she would have to go to the second preference. I personally liked the second preference more than the third one but here my DD did have some disagreement over this. Could she go to the third preference instead of the second or is this not possible?
FP Fizzypops
mum1969

Re: March the 1st-what happens?

Post by mum1969 »

Hi fizzypops, suggest you have a look at the earier thread 'Can someone explain how things work on march 1st??'. If offered your second preference you will automatically be put on the continuing interest list for your first preference. If you decide you would prefer your third preference as well you will have to add this school to your continuing interest list. Beware - if you are offered a place at a school on your continuing interest list the original offer will be automatically withdrawn when the new offer is made (at least this is how it works with Herts according to their admissions procedures) so make sure this is your true change in preferences. The process shold be explained in detail on the relevant LA admissions website.

Hope this helps.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Reasonably enough, the council assumes that your preferences reflect your wishes and if you ranked a school second you prefer it to the school you ranked third. If you have changed your mind and now prefer your third ranked school to your second, you need to let your council know now. Otherwise they will turn down your third ranked school in favour of your second or first ranked school because by ranking them the way you have that is what you have told them to do. Have you changed your mind or did you just not read the section on preferences and how they work before you put in your CAF? DG
Hera

Post by Hera »

That is not quite right DG. You can go on the waiting list for lower ranked school during the first run of CI. It is all explained pretty clearly on the Herts admissions page for anyone who might find themselves in this position.
fizzypops

Post by fizzypops »

Daogroupie-I have changed my mind, as I thought hard about distance and travelling the other day and the third school would have a huge advantage for us as it is aobut 5 mins walk-with the second preference it was half hour bus journey! The second preference school had a higher ranking school though which is why I put it first. My DD wasn't too keen on it at first.

Want to add one thing: I live in London, and does that make any difference to the admission procedures?
FP Fizzypops
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Bel, I was talking about what is happening now before allocatation day. All councils are turning down your lower ranked schools in favour of your higher ranked schools so if Fizzypops has changed her mind she needs to contact her council now and let them know she now wants her third ranked school over her second ranked school otherwise they will turn down her offer from her third ranked school in preference to her second or first ranked school. It is really important that your rankings with your council always reflect your preference order. Fizzypops, call your council and let them know your change of heart. DG
WP

Post by WP »

Daogroupie wrote:Bel, I was talking about what is happening now before allocatation day. All councils are turning down your lower ranked schools in favour of your higher ranked schools so if Fizzypops has changed her mind she needs to contact her council now and let them know she now wants her third ranked school over her second ranked school otherwise they will turn down her offer from her third ranked school in preference to her second or first ranked school. It is really important that your rankings with your council always reflect your preference order. Fizzypops, call your council and let them know your change of heart.
Too late: the allocation has been done now, and all places at both schools have been assigned. At this stage you can only change your preferences for the continuing interest process.
fizzypops

Post by fizzypops »

Can I call the council anytimg between now and 1st March? Or is it too late to do anything?
FP Fizzypops
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would call them if I were you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They may just tell you that you now must wait until March 1st, but at least you will know that you did everything you could. DG
decaff

Post by decaff »

On the subject of March 1st, with half term this week would primary heads in South West Herts have already received allocation lists yet?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now