Bucks Selection Review scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCB

Bucks Selection Review scores

Post by MCB »

Based on the extensive evidence we have (and presented to the 'Selection Review') we genuinely believe the outcome is unjust and unfair. It has already impacting negatively on a very bright and academically minded young boy who in all 'fairness' should now be looking forward to starting at a Grammar School

It would seem that the opportunity for us to prove that our son is suitable for a grammar school has been and gone and that we should have waited to present our case in person, where we would have had an open and transparent opportunity of being satisfied our sons case was clearly understood and fairly considered.

I have asked for some statistics from the LA, but feedback I am getting from other people who entered the process suggests the only people who seem to have got through are those that only just missed the mark and not those who performed badly during the process, but who are (as in my sons case) more than academically suited to a grammar school education.

Regards MCB
buzzybee

Re: Bucks Selection Review. Can we appeal?

Post by buzzybee »

MCB

Very interesting post. From the feedback we are getting from our school is that those that were successful at the Selection Review had a score of 120 and nothing below got through regardless of academic ability (purely based on our School). Unfortunately, looks like we can't appeal that our dd is academically suitable then? I'm sure if the process was as it was last year, we would have been successful, certainly from what happened last year with the appeals at the school and also from the appeals feedback area on here.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Seems like they might just as well have set a pass mark of 120!

Did anyone have a successful review on a lower mark that 120? And equally was anyone not successful on a score of 120? I am sure both pieces of info would be interesting :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've been informed of one score well below 121 - but we must be cautious about 'snapshots'.
I think we need the full picture before drawing any conclusions.
Etienne
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Etienne, can I just say that you are as always a fountain of knowledge! I am keen to hear of those successful on lower scores as I haven't heard of any. I think my dd was probably disadvantaged with our school having 6 children getting 120 (although 1 didn't appeal), so her 119 probably didn't compare favourably at the Selection Review.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Hi all,

Just thought I would contribute my part to this discussion. My DD scored 120 and had a successful review. Her friend also scored 120 and was unsuccessful. I therefore know for sure that not all the 120's got through. I wonder what the percentage this year was? I know from past appeals it has been between 74-86%. It will be very interesting to see this years statistics and how they compare with previous years!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello

just for the stats, the 2012 entry at our school had three successful appeals, two were at 120, and the other had 118 and a 1:1 from the head and predicted 5a's. We also had a fail at 120 with predicted 5a's but a 2:2 as he had a lot going on outside school hours that was deemed to divide his focus. There were five other's that also had predicted 5a's but lower 11 plus marks and lower head refs, that did not succeed.

This year we had one child win appeal at 120 with a 1:1 and predicted 5a's, and one win with 118 and a 1:1 and predicted 5a's. I don't know the other's as I don't have a child in the year.

However is does seem that the big three are a 120, a 1:1 and 5a predictions, or as close as poss. Ours is a state school, so I have no idea if the heads ref is deemed more or less important for public schools that do not partake in sats.

Anyway hope this helps the appeal/review comparison
Bonnie baby

Post by Bonnie baby »

Just wanted to share that our DS had a successful review.. His score was 120 and he received 2:3 from his headteacher. We think that an excellent EP report helped our case tremendously (was worth every penny and not just from a review point of view) and also maybe the brutal honesty of his headteacher who certainly didn't 'dress it up' in anyway. We will be forever grateful for the advice we found on this forum.

Many congraulations, BB! :D

(I've taken the liberty of editing out the word 'appeal' to avoid any confusion)
sbates

Post by sbates »

A child at my my son's school had a successful review with a 114. He had full Ht support and is a L6 student. My owns sons review was successful with a 120 and full Ht support but well evidenced extenuating circumstances.
Etienne

Re: Bucks Selection Review scores

Post by Etienne »

MCB's topic has (understandably) developed into a discussion about scores needed for a successful review. I think this ought to have a thread of its own, and have tried to separate out posts as appropriate.

I note that several posters are using 'review' and 'appeal' as if they are interchangeable terms. Please try to avoid this, otherwise it could lead to confusion! :shock:
Etienne