QMHS RANKINGS-HOW DO THEY WORK?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thetford

QMHS RANKINGS-HOW DO THEY WORK?

Post by thetford »

I am getting more and more anxious by the day! My daughter got a 203 ranking at QM- last yr for 96 places last allocation was at 268, this year there are, i understand 112 places. I f you sat the Wolverhampton/Walsall/Telford exam but didn't get a ranking for Walsall because you didn't want to be considered for it could you still have placed it on the CAF? Will the QMHS places only be allocated to those who got a ranking for it or for anyone who got the consortium exam? I suppose the real question is what do you think are my daughter's chances? I know that there are only 2 wks left but any clues/pearls/personal experience/opinion before hand to prepare us would still be v gratefully received.

Sleepless.....
um

Re: QMHS RANKINGS-HOW DO THEY WORK?

Post by um »

Just to understand your situation better (as it is a little unclear)...

Do you want your daughter to attend QMHS?

Did you put it as first choice on the CAF?

You may also be able to put your mind at ease by contacting the school directly.
I sent an email to them on Thursday (regarding this year's exam) and received an almost immediate clear response.
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Hi Thetford, I am in a similar situation to you. My DS sat the exam at Adams Grammar, Newport. I didn't tick the box for QM's boys but I would think that there may be some who ticked both. For the girls there were 3 boxes - Wolverhampton, Walsall and Newport.

I can't see how anyone who hasn't ticked the box for a particular school, even if they put it as first preference on their CAF would be considered, (if I am understanding you correctly)? So I wouldn't expect to be considered for Walsall as I didn't tick the box.

I agree with um, why not contact the school and see if they can put your mind at rest.

Best of luck on 1 March!

AliceM
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Just my opinion as I have no personal experience of QM allocations.

It would seem that your DD would have gained a place at QMHS for each of the past three years based on her ranking, which is well above the last allocation ranking in previous years, and as there are an additional 16 places available this year then the chances of her gaining a place on 1st March are, I would imagine, very good. There are obviously no guarantees though, especially as this year is the first year that results were available to parents before completing the CAF and no one can anticipate how that might effect the allocations. However I agree with AliceM that candidates would have had to have expresed a preference for the school on the test registration form to have been included in the initial ranking for a particular school, it would not be enough to just have sat the consortium test.

Good luck to you and your DD for 1st March, I'll cross my fingers for good news for you :D
thetford

Post by thetford »

Dear Prof Yaffle, thank you so much for your reply-I agree this year is the first year that results were available to parents before completing the CAF but I anticipate that this might make it easier for those lower in the rankings at QMHS because it seems that this school is lower in the preferences compared to other grammar schools. My reasoning-or is it wishful thinking-is that now that parents know the rankings they will put down the more competitive schools in the Birmingham Consortium in preference to QMHS knowing that their dcs have made the grade. This may free up more of the higher ranks at QMHS? I am am making the presumption that the same children who got the higher ranks at QMHS will also have got the higher scores for Birmingham. Logic? Please advise......
morgu

Post by morgu »

Dear thetford,
I read in another thread a while back that there has also been a 'consortium effect' this year, in the sense that several hundred more children sat the QM test than previous years. I think many parents ticked the box for schools they weren't really considering, just because it was on the consortium form and cost you nothing. I know I did. I am hoping for WGHS for my daughter, but ticked for Newport as well, even trough it would be a transport nightmare to get there. Hopefully this 'effect' means that your DC is more than safe.
Fingers crossed for you for 1/3 :)
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Can i ask please did everybody just get a rank for this exam or a score as well, we did sit this exam but just got a rank. That right as on another post someone has score?thank you
MSD

Post by MSD »

Just the rank. I received the score quoting the Data Protection Act.

MSD
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Okay thank you, my ds did much better in ke than qm, would have liked to see where he went wrong! Slim back up plan may question rank if dont get first choice.