GCSE results for university entry

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

supertrex

GCSE results for university entry

Post by supertrex »

Hi, I am not sure if this question should be raised in the GCSE forum:

When viewing the admission pages in many universities, nearly most of them stated their requirements for AS/A2 results. How about the GCSE results? How much they will take into consideration?

If I performed poorly in GCSE but catched up in A Level, do the Admission Tutors also ask for the GCSE results? Thanks
Guest55

Re: GCSE results for university entry

Post by Guest55 »

You have to declare GCSE results on your UCAS application including ALL grades. Most universities will want to see a good spread of academic GCSEs at grade B and above, with grade A/A*s in some subjects depending on the degree choice.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It is difficult to 'catch up' at A Level, supertrex, as the courses are significantly more difficult. They are various studies on the Department of Education website which show the spread of A Level grades compared to the GCSE ones which support this. Virtually no one, for example, who got a C grade at GCSE went on to get an A* at A2 but this is to be expected, of course.

You still have time; ensure you start your revision now. Sort out what it is you need to do for each subject and draw up a timetable of how you are going to fit everything in. Depending on when your school starts study leave, you might have only eight weeks of school left, so think carefully and ask your subject teachers for help if there are gaps in your knowledge or if you are unsure.

And going back to your question - you WILL need to put down GCSE grades on the UCAS application and these will also be considered as it is a means of differentiating between students. It is also likely you will need to put them down on job applications for the rest of your life. I am nearly three times your age; if I go for a new job, I still have to put my grades down and provide my certificates as evidence for all my qualifications, including the ones I took when I was 15/16 back in the 80s.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

It is also likely you will need to put them down on job applications for the rest of your life.
Oh, I think this must vary hugely from profession to profession. I haven't even been asked about my degree, let alone my O or A levels in at least 20 years.

Nor would I have any interest whatsoever in the grades of people I am recruiting once they are about 3 years out of university.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

When we were disposed of from my last (paid) workplace at the end of 2011, part of the deal was assistance in rewriting our cv etc. I was specifically told to remove all mention of anything academic earlier than my degree.

I had been in the same post since 1994 and I'm fairly certain I didn't have to supply my O or A level certificates when I applied. I certainly hope that no-one would be interested in them now, because I have an awful feeling that at some point I must have put them in "a safe place" :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

After my degree, I simply put the number of O levels and A levels I have on my CV, I don't mention the subjects or grades. If someone wants to know then I'll tell them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My grades aren't even on my O level certificate ....
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:My grades aren't even on my O level certificate ....
I lost my O level certificates years ago. They're probably still in the loft at my parents' old house. Did I even get certificates? All I remember is a poxy bit of paper in a nasty brown envelope. I did have to send my degree certificates to my new seat of learning though, when I applied for higher study.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It does depend on the job. In education we need to provide everything - to start the course, and for every new job. My point is that these things might matter all the way through life, not that they will.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kingfisher - I am a teacher but my O level certificate doesn't have grades on; it has never been an issue.

GCSE grades are less important the older you get.