How is Kendrick school really like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
panacea

How is Kendrick school really like?

Post by panacea »

Hi everyone,

There is lots about other schools on the forum but hardly anything about Kendrick apart from the fact that its a good school. Can anyone shed some light on how the school really is and how it is now under the new head Mrs.K? The ofsted report is quite old and while most of the present Kendrick parents are happy, I wonder why the "parents" who went to Kendrick always say, " It wasn't the best place when I went there,but ofcourse, its different now". Any Kendrick parents out there?
Reading Mum

Re: How is Kendrick school really like?

Post by Reading Mum »

I think it used to be a real hot house. I know several Kendrick old girls who wouldn't consider it for their daughters based on their own school days but they are all in their 30s. I am sure it is a very different school now - I certainly hope so.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Kendrick is obviously our first choice and we will be very happy if dd is offered a place but this is how dd found it after the open day : Small, dark, no open field .. she even jokingly remarked that the hall was like an execution hall :(
This is how she described TGS : pros - Bright, as big as "Buckingham palace", big field. Cons - Not in Reading! She would still like to go to Kendrick but only because its in Reading where we have friends and family.
We have decided to take her for the science day at Kendrick next month and hopefully that will be a more pleasant experience. I know the results are great but did anyone else also find the school a bit dark.. and... small?
Last edited by panacea on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

I can see how some of the building would come across as 'dark' and compared to some other secondary schools Kendrick is 'small'. All I can add is that my DD is in year 10 now and we are in no doubt that we made the right choice for her. She has a lovely group of like-minded friends, is stretched academically without being 'stressed out' in the process and is comfortable enough to try sporting activities which she knows she won't excel in, but enjoys them nonetheless. Her friends who work 'too hard', in my opinion, put the pressure on themselves - I do not think that the school is responsible and in fact I think they are aware of their historic hothouse reputation and consciously make sure that life at Kendrick isn't like that. Friends of DD who work 'too hard' have been encouraged by staff to work less. I would add that I am aware of other parents who, in my opinion, push their Kendrick daughters too hard but that isn't the school's fault.

There is no such thing as the perfect school but I would certainly recommend this one :)
panacea

Post by panacea »

Thank you Torrylee, that was quite helpful :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

panacea wrote:Thank you Torrylee, that was quite helpful :)
+1

One of things we liked was the fact Kendrick was small. DD is currently at a primary school with 70 in a year. Our catchment school is 278 a year and the school feels enormous. In comparison, Kendrick doesn't seem much bigger than her primary school.

What finally nailed it for DD was that two of her best friends should also get in, along with another girl from their school, who she gets on with ok. Also at least one girl from her dance class should get in.

We never applied to TGS. It is a few hundred yards from the in laws house. She knows and we now how far that is. MIL actually taught there many moons ago.
Does like nice from the outside though.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Hi Tinkers,
Your dd is lucky that her two best friends and other known girls might possibly join her. In my dd's case, she is the only one from her whole school to have passed! She might have felt better about Kendrick if even one of her friends had passed.
We made her take the TGS tests just for practise and to give her the feel of a test, not for a place there. We did not see any other schools at all except another private which we viewed without her. So she had only these two schools to compare. But I do think she will start liking it once she makes some new friends and gets used to life there. Being academic, I really think she will flourish there.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Well, yes, it is small - constrained by its location! And no they don't have a field, but they manage a surprising range of sports without it (dd in y11 is doing tag rugby and pilates this term!), and they go over to Palmer Park for hockey and athletics.

I've probably written a fair amount about the school if you search my posts :-)

My dd is very happy there, and looking forward to the 6th form. She's certainly never felt under pressure, more like the opposite, lol, but she is a very laidback person! Ms K seems to be well-liked, and clearly loves the school.

Most girls arrive not knowing anyone - my dd didn't - so it really shouldn't be an issue.

I really have no complaints about the place. Do pm me or ask here if you have any specific questions.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Thanks Aliportico,will be PMing you quite a lot after 1st march :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

aliportico wrote:
My dd is very happy there, and looking forward to the 6th form. She's certainly never felt under pressure, more like the opposite, lol, but she is a very laidback person! Ms K seems to be well-liked, and clearly loves the school.

Most girls arrive not knowing anyone - my dd didn't - so it really shouldn't be an issue.

I really have no complaints about the place. Do pm me or ask here if you have any specific questions.
Hi,
Thanks for the info, I've read many of your posts over the last couple of years and they have been really helpful for us. I've got various questions (as does DD) and I hope you won't regret offering to answer questions! :lol:

Of course we don't know for definite until Friday, but we are reasonably confident DD will get a place.

So here goes.

School dinners, are they any good? Do most girls have them or take packed lunches? If they take packed lunches can they eat in the canteen with the girls having school dinners? Typically daily costs?

Do you know how they allocate classes, will they keep girls who know each other together or split them up? There's probably four from DDs school altogether. Do they stay together as a class all the time, or do they get mixed up. Do they get mixed up in year 8?

How much homework will they get in year 7?

From the uniform/kit list what do we really need to get? DD does struggle with the cold so I would think I need to get her the optional track suit bottoms and PE fleece, will she be able to wear them during PE anyway? Is it worth getting a hockey stick? Do they really need a tennis racket?
The optional stuff for dance. My DD already does ballet/modern/tap so has a black leotard, however it is sleeveless. Do you think it will be suitable? The ones on hawkin sport have sleeves. When would they wear dance stuff anyway. DD is interested in dance club, so any further info on that would be great, if you know anything.
DD wears glasses, so I'm also wondering about her wearing them when playing hockey, she can't see without them!
Do most girls tend to get all their uniform and PE kit (the none branded stuff) from hawkin sport anyway, or is it a hotch potch?

What stationery are they expected to have? Obviously pens, pencils, rulers etc, but Im thinking more along the lines of folders, geometry sets, compasses.

I've noticed photos where the girls are wearing science overalls that they embroider their names on, something they have to do? (DD will enjoy doing that, or might get my mother to do it on her embroidery machine :D )

Anything else they need or would be useful that isn't covered in the school lists? Anything I haven't even thought about?

I think I've asked everything. Hope it hasn't put you off offering to answer questions!