Which Kindle?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Which Kindle?

Post by Daogroupie »

I am spending a lot of time at the moment creating comprehension passages from the classics and know that a Kindle could really help me with this. But which Kindle is best? I need one that will be easy to carry around in my bag. I also want to be able to cut and paste from texts very easily. Any existing Kindle users got any advice for me? DG
omismum

Re: Which Kindle?

Post by omismum »

Kindle fire HD
it tells you meaning of the words and you can highlight the word ,make personal notes about word
it.
and so on ..
my dd loves it.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

All Kindles are easy to carry around. I have a basic one which is about a year old. It is fantastic but I'm not sure you can cut & paste from it very easily, but then I've never tried. I think you might need a Kindle Fire which is actually a small tablet computer as opposed to just an ereader. I have seen them going quite cheap as other tablets are better for use as a tablet computer, if you see what I mean. If you have any tablet computer you can have a Kindle app on it. My DH has a 7 inch tablet which he reads all his Kindle books on & he has passed on his Kindle to my father. I'll have a look on my iPad & see if you can cut & paste pages.

(cross posts)
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks Omnimum, Where is the cheapest place to buy one and how heavy is it? Does she carry it around with her or just use it at home? DG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you looked on the Kindle forums on Amazon? I've got a 3G Kindle with keyboard and love it. I like the fact that it isn't back lit, which makes it much easier to read for long periods.
omismum

Post by omismum »

we bought it in John Lewis for £129 ....i think it is standard prize.
But if you try ,Amazon or Ebay u might get a good deal.

(i hope i can use above words)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You'd have to look around for deals but about £129

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083Q04M2/? ... 9cpa5vqh_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A basic Kindle is much cheaper but not sure how you would cut & paste - you also need to check that you can do this with the Fire.

Edited to add - discussion here on cutting & pasting (there are copyright implications, but seems you can copy "clippings")

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_e ... 7JSVR872C5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

My very tech-savvy DS2 says avoid Kindle fire as it has too much going on in one small box, has clunky interfaces and won't last. He loves the paper white but all others in the family swear by the bog standard cheapy one! :)

I love my iPad.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

But Daogroupie wants it for a specific thing, and although it might be possible to copy & paste from the original ( I love it too), it would be tricky as you have no other app to copy it into. With a tablet you could do this into another app, I guess, although the iPad doesn't have word (don't know if the others do).

PS I love my iPad and DH really really loves his nexus 7!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yeah fair point. I posted that on a train just after a rather well built man had fallen onto me so perhaps I didn't read properly. :oops: I think the point about it maybe having a short life expectancy is valid though - but because they are so new I don't suppose anyone really knows...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now