Ofsted Data Dashboard

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

Ofsted Data Dashboard

Post by bromley mum »

The much heralded data dashboard has gone live! Parents and governors can use it to access simple data about schools. Use the link below to access the dashboard

http://dashboard.ofsted.gov.uk/
Reading Mum

Re: Ofsted Data Dashboard

Post by Reading Mum »

confused me - how can a school achieving 100% in a measure be in the bottom quintile compared to similar schools. Who is getting more than 100% and how did they do it?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Good question, maybe it is weighted to reflect the actual grades acheived, so if one school had 100% getting C for maths and the other 100% getting A* it would be shown by which quintile they were in. I must admit it doesn't say that, but...
scary mum
JRM

Post by JRM »

That makes very sobering reading for my children's school. I shall have another miserable day kicking myself for not moving them now. :cry:
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
KS10

Post by KS10 »

This sort of thing gives me nightmares.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I hope they're going to provide more history as it becomes available, anyone who looks at school statistics knows that individual numbers oscillate wildly from year to year.

And our nearest school is not in the database at all. Although I can see why the DofEd might prefer to keep quiet about that one.

edit to add: and the data for primary schools is frankly very implausible indeed.

Mike
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

confused me - how can a school achieving 100% in a measure be in the bottom quintile compared to similar schools. Who is getting more than 100% and how did they do it?
Yes we have that for DD's grammar as well. I couldn't work it out either :? And what is the definition of the "similar" schools?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Ofsted's definition of "similar schools" is:

The "similar schools" measure groups schools together using their prior attainment score for the cohort. Each school has its own group, which includes the schools that are most similar to the school of interest in terms of their prior attainment score. For the Key Stage 4 cohort, their Key Stage 2 average prior attainment score is used; for the Key Stage 2 cohort, their Key Stage 1 average prior attainment score is used to group the schools. There is no similar school comparison for Key Stage 1 data.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The site states "Quintiles are used to split a dataset into five groups, each representing 20% of the values contained in the data set. The groups are not necessarily evenly split as there may be several identical scores in the data set, and these would be placed in the same quintile."

So perhaps all the schools in the group achieved 100% so they have put them all in the bottom quintile!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is statistically flawed as cohort size needs to be taken into account.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now