Rules for VR tests

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Rules for VR tests

Post by patricia »

Dear All

I have posted the following in the Bucks section, it may be of use to other areas.

Dear Parents of children taking the Bucks test.

Rules and regulations given to my students.

RULES:

Before The Test:

1] Keep off the PASTA. Pasta is good for physical energy; however in some people it has the reverse effect on MENTAL energy.

2] Eat healthily: fresh fruit and vegetables, fish, drink lots of water.

3] Ensure you have an analogue watch.

Day of the Test:

1] Eat a good breakfast; on the way to school eat a banana or other healthy snack. This will keep your blood sugars up which will help with your concentration!

2] Wear a watch. Schools vary in how they tell you the minutes that are left, some will tell you the times at half time and with 5 minutes left, others will tell you half time and 2 minutes left. Your seating plan on the day of the test may prevent you from seeing a clock.

3] It is inevitable that some children will cry; distance yourself from your friends emotions. You will be doing the right thing by informing a teacher of your friends predicament.

The Test

1] Ensure your non writing hand is on the question booklet, with your forefinger pointing to the relevant question.

2] At ALL times keep an eye on the question number you are answering.

3] Do NOT leave out whole sections at a time.

4] If unsure of an answer take a good, educated guess AND mark it on the answer sheet, put a ring around the question number and move on. You may have time to return to the question later.

5] Make NOTES where appropriate[ you know when to make them!]

6] Leave both Z questions till last, ring and move on.

7] Do NOT guess

Codes [Types C L N and U]
Maths [G I K P]
Where does the Letter come from [O R]
Hidden 4 letter word [E]

Why? You know why, because ALL the information is there for you, its 100% marks.

8] Do NOT guess compound words UNLESS you have written out ALL nine words.

9] Vocabulary: only guess AFTER you have eliminated ALL words that you DO know.

10] You MUST work for the FULL 50 minutes. Do NOT give up.

11] With 2 minutes to go check the answer sheet has ALL questions answered. If you are running out of time you MUST guess ALL remaining answers. Guess in a straight line, not randomly.

12] Work hard, do not give up, YOU CAN DO IT!

13] When you get home at the end of school time, put your feet up and have a good rest. Your mum will very kindly serve up your favourite tea [not pasta!] and an extra special pudding [mines apple crumble and custard]

Patricia

Yes, I am a hard task master!
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Patricia

You really are so kind!! I don't know what we'd have done without all your patience and priceless advice. Our daughter has her first practice paper tomorrow at School (Bucks), so when she comes home tonight we can go through your list and make sure that she knows exactly what to do. I was planning a plate of Spag Bol. tonight, but will now be in Tesco later choosing something else!!

Thanks again.

Nif229 (watch out rehab here I come)!!

Post by Guest »

thank you.
ah

Post by ah »

Hi,

That seems like some good advice, will go through it with my daughter.

Thanks
jellywobble

why analogue watch

Post by jellywobble »

I'm intrigued why you state an analogue watch.

When the test actually starts (after all the admin name-filling) you look at the watch to get a clear point on own watch for timing purposes.

My daughter finds counting the little notches of an analogue watch far harder that, say, reading 10:03. Adding the 50 minutes is then just maths.

But I'm ready to be guided by those with more experience.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jellywobble

Analogue for 2 reasons...

1] to tell the time.

2] to help with Z questions that involve time.

Patrica
WorriedMum

Post by WorriedMum »

Thank you for the tips Patricia!
I never knew that about pasta, but why can he not have pasta after he has finished the paper? Sorry if I am being thick!

Never thought about the watch perhaps helping with the Z type questions so will bear that in mind.

Good luck everyone! :)

PS I also gave my son an extra tip - if he is erasing an answer for one question, ensure that it doesn't accidently make the answer above or below it feint. This happened to him yesterday - the line was very feint - I could see it was his answer and gave him the benefit but that would probably not be the case in the real test. HTH.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Worried Mum

Pasta OFF menu till after the SECOND test!

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Thank you.
Even though the tests are 1 week apart?
Erm pasta is banned in our home from now until September 22nd PM then! :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You may be interested to know that pupils had watches taken from them when the test was sat at County Hall ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now