How are the new year 7's finding grammar school life so far

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Silver29

How are the new year 7's finding grammar school life so far

Post by Silver29 »

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this website for a while and have come to recognise the regular posters and the stress, trials, disappointments and for many of you the jubliation you experienced over the past year.

I am now in full stress mode because my daughter will be sitting the 11+ in November (it's come round so quick!)

I am really interested to know how you are all finding the schools. I am especially interested in Southend Girls as I was very impressed by the Head at last years open evening and understand he has already moved on - has this had any detrimental effect?

My daughter achieved level 5s at the end of year 5, is a keen and able reader and embraces learning. I feel she'll suit grammar school life. I am just so daunted by the high standard of competition she'll have to get in. I'm sure most 11+ entrants are extremely able and their parents/teachers feel they are well suited to grammar school - so many keen children, so few places. I am tutoring my daughter at home and am now slightly concerned that I should've appointed a tutor (cost issues!)

My main concern is panic on the day, she scores very highly on practice papers if she doesn't feel any time constraints but as soon as she feels time-pressured she loses it! Any tips on how to deal with this. She did one of the "Tutors" downloaded tests this week and I told her not to worry about time but to just try and answer every question. She scored 99% and finished in 58 minutes. I just need to convince her to be like that on the day!

Anyone have any tips or just want to swap stress stories?
LBSWM

Post by LBSWM »

Siver29 wrote:lurking on this website for a while
I hope that from reading a11 that has gone on, you wi11 see that you can't avoid this phase of 'high level anxiety' on your part. :lol:
It has derailed a few of us but as you can see, we are sti11 here. :shock:

Your preparation sounds exce11ent and your daughter, when it comes nearer the time, wi11 be quietly confident and amaze you.

Her scores are fantastic and you should definitely take pride in a11 she has achieved with your guidance. A certain degree of nervousne55 is natural as with my child last year; the adrenalin and the focus wi11 make the tests "do-able"... that is what a11 the practice is a11 about.

Keep breathing and Good Luck to your daughter for her coming tests!
Karen

Post by Karen »

Your daughter is working at level 5, her practice test scores are excellent, so there should be no problem. Timing problems may ease themselves out if she practices often enough, but there are plenty of helpful people on this site who can give you some good advice about that. My son was too speedy with his practice test papers and his fault was silly mistakes because he would rush!

Life at grammar so far, so good. They are keeping him very busy - homework slow to start but has made up for it this week. He's joined a couple of after school clubs already as well as a lunch time one. I do wonder if he's going to burn out any day now, but he says he's fine, so I am just keeping a watchful eye and making sure he gets plenty of rest and time out. He does enjoy his days and hasn't complained about anything (well, not since he's recovered from the shock of having to get up so early in the mornings!). He's made loads of new friends and is having a great time. No mention of being bored (no time to be bored!) - which was his constant gripe with primary school.

Regarding Southend High: my colleague's daughter attends there (Y8). It is business as usual at the school.

Best of luck for November :D
K
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Thanks so much for the replies.

Karen I'm glad that your son has settled in so well - it's good to hear that he is no longer bored - the early mornings will definitely be a shock to my daughter as well.

I'm feeling quite positive today. I know we've put the work in without going over board, she has the ability. We'll just have to hope that she does her best on the day, then fate can take it's course. I'm trying to convince myself that she'll be allocated the school that will suit her best whether that be a grammar or the local (ok) comp.

:roll:
Karen

Post by Karen »

Silver29 wrote: I'm feeling quite positive today. I know we've put the work in without going over board, she has the ability. We'll just have to hope that she does her best on the day, then fate can take it's course. I'm trying to convince myself that she'll be allocated the school that will suit her best whether that be a grammar or the local (ok) comp.

:roll:
That really is what it's about. Your feelings go up and down like a yoyo; especially as the test day gets nearer. As you say, you know your daughter has the ability, so keep that in mind. As per LBSWM: stay focussed. Keep coming back here when you feel the need. Then, when it's all over, you can join REHAB! :wink:
I'm off now - early start tomorrow - nite nite.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Karen wrote:Then, when it's all over, you can join REHAB!
You don't have to wait ti11 it's a11 over before you join REHAB...you can pop in anytime,silver 29....there's a party going on at the Hotel right now..I only hope they are sensible and realise people have to go to sleep and go to work and school tomorrow!
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

I definitely need rehab! I shall check out that section of the forum later. Thanks for the tip.

Post by Guest »

Hi Silver29,

I know exactly what you are going through, my daugher sat the test last year. She was very lucky and passed and is now going to SHSG.

I must say I am very impressed with the school, I cant think of one single bad thing about it. The new Headteacher seems very nice, no complaints there, all the teachers are treating the girls really lovely.

She is very happy there, she is feeling very tired though. She is not used to getting up so early. Registration starts at 8.35 but I think most girls arrive about 8.15

They have a lovely lady called Mrs Ager who is there for all the year 7 girls. They can go to her if they have any problems, or worried about anything, which I think is very helpful.

The staff at the school on the day of the exam were really kind, they gave the girls lots of encouragement and made them feel really welcome.

Best Of Luck to you and your daugher, Im sure she will do really well.
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Thanks guest for your encouraging reply. We have now been to see CCHS, WHSG and SHSG - we liked all three! We've now got to decide which one we liked the best ( make sure our order of preference really is that). Do you mind me asking how long your daughter's journey to school is?

Post by Guest »

From where we live in Leigh, the bus takes around 30 minutes, she has to get 1 bus to the main bus station opposite marks and spencers, then straight away jumps on the next one which takes the girls to shsg.
Its much quicker by car, I know one mum said she has been driving from Billericay and she cant believe how quick it is in the car, less than 30 minutes in the car.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with you.