Slough Grammar School 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suesole

Slough Grammar School 2

Post by Suesole »

Hi

Can anyone advise if they are bothering to put their children through yet another exam to send their children here, We have registered but son is not keen on the school or the thought of another 11+. Your comments about your thoughts on the school would be welcome....

Post by Guest »

dd will be sitting for Slough,it's our first preference school!

Post by Guest »

If you have prepared for one exam, it should be no trouble to go for another exam. You never know what may happen on the day of the exam and it is a good idea to have a back up plan with another school, albeit not your first choice. It is best to keep as many options open as possible.
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

That's what we though. SGS is our back up.... Guest hope DD does well. I have heard at the open evening the sit the kids in smaller groups in classrooms to take the tests to ease the terror and the pressure a little..It's us as parents that are panic stricken !!!!!!!!!!
chad

Post by chad »

As both Slough Grammar and the Slough Consortium are using NFER NV, Vr & Maths..... you wont need to do any extra prep. It also means you have two chances.

I would have liked to have the option! It is so hard for an 10/11 yr old to have all their hopes dependent on 1 day.

Post by Guest »

Sorry Suesole, meant that dd will be sitting for slough as it's our first choice school and not as a backup iyswim. She will also be sitting the 11+ for langley.( Can I ask why most people don't seem to like slough grammar much?Just curious.)Anyway I think having two tests now is quite good really,as long as you like both schools that is! Two chances to pass,as like it was said above,you don't know what's going to happen on the day.....!
G2

Post by G2 »

Anonymous wrote:If you have prepared for one exam, it should be no trouble to go for another exam. You never know what may happen on the day of the exam and it is a good idea to have a back up plan with another school, albeit not your first choice. It is best to keep as many options open as possible.

That was me above. Just wanted to add - even better if your 2nd choice school has it's exams first(before your 1st choice school).
This gives your child a chance to get over exam nerves. By the time of the 2nd exam, it's not so intimidating.

However if that is not the case, it still does not matter. Two, even 3, chances to pass and qualify for the same amount of preparation is hedging your b*ts for the future.

Are you only going for 2 schools?Would you also consider any independent schools as another back-up?

G2
Catherine

Re: Slough Grammar School 2

Post by Catherine »

Suesole wrote:Hi

Can anyone advise if they are bothering to put their children through yet another exam to send their children here, We have registered but son is not keen on the school or the thought of another 11+. Your comments about your thoughts on the school would be welcome....
Hi Sue,
I would rank the schools in order of preference. If SG comes before your comprehensive, put it on the list.
But it you rank it below and you know that your son can get a place at the comprehensive, don't bother.
If you are not sure, register your son anyway. It gives you two months to decide what to do...

As for the school, have you trawled through past postings in this thread? There are quite a few comments about SG. My son goes there, I like it, but do read through...

Best wishes

Catherine
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Guest,

In answer to the query ref Slough Grammar have a look at this thread....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3004

As I have said before - my son is very happy at SG and I chose it on the basis that it seemed the best school for his personality. It is very easy to become immersed in the minor differences between percentages at GCSE and A' level. SG has had some excellent success with the IB this year.
The facilities do not appear to be as 'modern' as other grammar schools. The addition of 'Science' to its 'language' speciality has given the school a extra focus and, I would think, extra funding for the science subjects.

I would always recommend visiting every school that you are considering, talking to the teachers (and asking questions of your 'guides' - you will be surprised at how truthful 12 yr old will be about their school).

If you have any specific questions then I will try and answer them.
:)

12+

Post by Guest »

hiya
does anyone know about the 12+ exam?
how we could get in and what subjects are taken?