Eltham College v Dartford Grammar for boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mookiemum

Eltham College v Dartford Grammar for boys

Post by Mookiemum »

Hi,
My ds has passed the Kent test with max scores and has a good offer from eltham college. We have direct bus go to both schools...financially, as told by the headmaster from eltham college, we don't need to pay much as he got both music and academic scholarship...
Anyone have any experiences about these schools? Thanks.
2boydad

Re: Eltham College v Dartford Grammar for boys

Post by 2boydad »

Mick Jagger or Nick Ferrari - you decide !
lefol

Post by lefol »

Allocations day today may help Mookiemum decide if she wants ds to rock with Mick Jagger or talk to Nicky!
Both good schools and great choice to have, one you have to pay for and the other is free!
Mookiemum

Post by Mookiemum »

Deleted
Last edited by Mookiemum on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Mookiemum admit it.....you just like the look of the huge field, the building and the posh looking kids from the junior school in their oversized bags!

You have made a good decision especially as you have a 100% scholarship! The fees you will have to pay for the first year will be less than £600 including uniform. Year 7 have a trip in September, its only for one night and when we did it, the cost was under £20.00. Teaching is good , but you have to keep up at home with reminders as boys are sometimes scatty, well mine need constant reminding. oh, do look out for the secondhand uniform sales , first thursday and you can go to the one in April to pick up some good bargains. You will not look like the poor relative if you do as all the posh mums attend as well to buy jumpers for less than £10. The blazers are £95 , so get a new one and about two secondhand ones.
Amber

Post by Amber »

lefol wrote:The blazers are £95 , so get a new one and about two secondhand ones.
3 blazers?!! :shock: Good heavens, what do they do in them? :?
Mookiemum

Post by Mookiemum »

Amber wrote:
lefol wrote:The blazers are £95 , so get a new one and about two secondhand ones.
3 blazers?!! :shock: Good heavens, what do they do in them? :?

One of my friends said 3 blazers as well...she said the new one for special occasion, the other 2 for daily work :roll: is that right?
Mookiemum

Post by Mookiemum »

You have made a good decision especially as you have a 100% scholarship! The fees you will have to pay for the first year will be less than £600 including uniform. Year 7 have a trip in September, its only for one night and when we did it, the cost was under £20.00. Teaching is good , but you have to keep up at home with reminders as boys are sometimes scatty, well mine need constant reminding. oh, do look out for the secondhand uniform sales , first thursday and you can go to the one in April to pick up some good bargains. You will not look like the poor relative if you do as all the posh mums attend as well to buy jumpers for less than £10. The blazers are £95 , so get a new one and about two secondhand ones.[/quote]

Thanks for the information, lefol. I will definitely go to the secondhand uniform shop. The next one is it next Thursday? For the blazer, can I know do they have 2 different one as I can see 2 different priced from John Lewis website? :roll:
lefol

Post by lefol »

Both blazers are the same , the one for £90 is for the junior school as the sizes are smaller , your DS may need the bigger one. The blazers are not made of good quality so don't dry clean them unless it gets really dirty. Buy two second hand ones and he can mix and match . Again rugby kit , buy secondhand as they lose them and if I recall they are about £40! You can order the blazer to John Lewis in bluewater and he can try them on. Also get a cheap dinner jacket for concerts with a black bow tie if he is in the choir .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now