KEHS Meeting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moneypenny1

KEHS Meeting

Post by moneypenny1 »

Hi everyone

Did anyone attend the KEHS curriculum meeting last Thursday?
I just wanted the thoughts of new year 7 prospective parents
What did you think?

Many thanks
:)
moneypenny1

Re: KEHS Meeting

Post by moneypenny1 »

I would really appreciate some feedback as we are still unsure as to which school to go for :roll:
I just wanted to know what others thought of the school that evening

Thanks in anticipation!

Poppins

Post by Poppins »

Hi Moneypenny1,

We are undecided as well. I was expecting the meeting would be for current parents as well as prospective parents, in order to also hear questions and views from within KEHS, however the relatively low attendance I believe was prospective parents.

I was disappointed not to see the Head and not to have a presentation from the Music Department (surely the Head of Music, if not able to attend, could have delegated the presentation to a colleague? ).

Also I was a bit perplexed at the presentation on "intellectual curiosity" as I was unsure what the school really offers on this, as such material is available from anyone anyway?

Really trying to understand what is the real benefit in choosing KEHS over a Grammar...

What did others think?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

moneypenny1, I too was disappointed. There are a fair number of families I know who have places for September 2013 but were unable to attend, as the event clashed with other things. I mainly went to see if there were current parents to talk to but the turnout from them was extremely low, if at all. According to the opening remarks, it would takes four years or so to cover all subjects, so I doubt current parents would bother as they would know about all the subjects once their daughter started anyway.

If current parents were not going to attend, and it was mainly for those with places, then I felt it was a bit of a wasted opportunity to lure in prospective parents. The KES meeting, which also took place before the Grammar school places were given, was far more informative, enjoyable and geared towards new parents. There was a specific time during this KES meeting when current parents attended to discuss the merits of the school over refreshments and many teachers were there as well as the Chief Master, of course.

I appreciate the current Head of KEHS is leaving but surely her successor could have attended?

The intellectual curiosity part was nothing new. We already access the websites/talks mentioned without prompting and they are on the KEHS website anyway. I am sure that parents have perused the school site whether they obtained places or not. The questions asked by the parents at the end, were insightful as the teacher admitted very few girls actually bothered to use those sites (I worked out 12 girls per year group from the percentages he gave).

I was impressed by the enthusiasm of the teachers but the content was not as impressive as I thought it would be. Liked the English and Biology teachers.

I still think its a fabulous school with beautiful facilities which holds itself well on the open day but felt the Curriculum Evening didn't do the school justice.

ETA moneypenny1 if I remember correctly, your choice is between Solihull and KEHS. Why not visit both schools over the next week, if you can, and see which aspects specific to your DD are met in each school?
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

Thank you Poppins and moselymum for your candid replies

We too were very disappointed mostly about the things that have been mentioned already.
But what has really made us reconsider is that DD didn't like it at all
She enjoyed the open day and worked incredibly hard to gain a place
But has now changed her mind and wants to go to Solihull School instead
And tbh I think she will fit in better there too (very tomboyish and sporty)
She found KEHS quite stuffy and academic (her words!)

Maybe KEHS don't really have to "hard sell" as they know they will always get the brightest girls joining and there are always more applicants than places

This was not evident at all the Solihull meetings we have been too, in fact completely opposite
Really welcoming , friendly, enthusiastic and really "showing off" their school.
They also have many more applicants than places.

I don't mean to offend any prospective/current parents of KEHS
I am just voicing my opinion.

moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

moneypenny1 wrote:Thank you Poppins and moselymum for your candid replies

We too were very disappointed mostly about the things that have been mentioned already.
But what has really made us reconsider is that DD didn't like it at all
She enjoyed the open day and worked incredibly hard to gain a place
But has now changed her mind and wants to go to Solihull School instead
And tbh I think she will fit in better there too (very tomboyish and sporty)
She found KEHS quite stuffy and academic (her words!)

Maybe KEHS don't really have to "hard sell" as they know they will always get the brightest girls joining and there are always more applicants than places

This was not evident at all the Solihull meetings we have been too, in fact completely opposite
Really welcoming , friendly, enthusiastic and really "showing off" their school.
They also have many more applicants than places.

I don't mean to offend any prospective/current parents of KEHS
I am just voicing my opinion.

If your daughter prefers Solihull then that's ok, opinions are everywhere on this site, no need to worry about offending anyone! :) KEHS doesn't suit everyone and if you turn down your place, then it will be gladly filled by someone else.
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

Thank you for the reassurance moseleymum :)

Which school have you decided for your DD?

moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

moneypenny1 wrote:Thank you for the reassurance moseleymum :)

Which school have you decided for your DD?

Still not decided yet :oops: You'd think I'd know what to do, having been through this process before, but each child is different with different needs/interests etc. Gonna probably wait til the last minute again :x
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

I can understand your dilemma!

We only have the one DD, so done and dusted as they say!

Have definitely decided on Solihull School, so one young lady on the KEHS waiting list is due for some good news :)

Thanks for all your help moseleymum
Hope whatever decision you make will be the best for your DD, God willing.

Sean_uk

Post by Sean_uk »

Hi all.

In the same boat as you guys here and desperately seeking advice please.

dd successfully passed KEHS exam and has also got a place at CHGS. Kehs seems to have it all, beautiful grounds, terrific reputation et al but just not absolutely sure it beats Chgs for overall inclusiveness. we attebded the Curriculem evening and left it less sure than before..dd is academically strong but doesnt have much time for extra-curricular activities and is not particularly sporty or into drama etc. Do you think she wpuld be wsting a place there or should I think more about the fact that her future career prospects will be improved with Kehs behind her?
It was said by another dp that Kehs takes only the brightest, would i be doing her a dis-service if i didnt give her that one chance (albeit at a huge financial cost).
If money wasnt an issue what would you do? Kehs or Chgs?
Also, kehs is easier for dd, requiring one fewer bus.
Am i looking at reputation more than the schooling experience. Im really struggling with this dilemms and realise time is short.

Would appreciate any considered thoughts, thanks
S

I
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now