Help please

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
goldenstar

Help please

Post by goldenstar »

How many twelfths are there in 3? 3/4? and 1/4?

How it needs to be calculated?

Thanks for your help.
Guest55

Re: Help please

Post by Guest55 »

goldenstar - you keep asking us for help with your maths. I really think it would be better to talk to your teacher.

For this homework you need to understand what 1/12 means before you can go any further.
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

goldenstar wrote:How many twelfths are there in 3? 3/4? and 1/4?

How it needs to be calculated?

Thanks for your help.
I am not a teacher so this method may not be ideal. However this is how I taught my dd and she understood it.

How many twelfths in 3? If you imagine 3 as a fraction then it would be 3/1. Since we need the answer in twelfths, we need to multiply the denominator (in this case the 1) by 12 . But, if we mulitply the denominator by 12 then the numerator must also be multiplied by 12. If you do this calculation, the answer will be 36/12. Thus there are 36 tewlfths in 3. Try doing the same to 3/4 and 1/4.

Apologies in advance if this method is not quite how they are taught at school. I am ceratin one of the very kind teachers will verify this.
Tagore
goldenstar

Post by goldenstar »

Thank you for your help.
goldenstar

Post by goldenstar »

Guest55 wrote:goldenstar - you keep asking us for help with your maths. I really think it would be better to talk to your teacher.

For this homework you need to understand what 1/12 means before you can go any further.
That's rude to say :) , just kidding.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A twelfth is 1 divided by 12 - is this a problem with vocab rather than the maths?

Books with the answers in as well as the questions are useful...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now