Re: how to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=31030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for that - really really helpful. My daughter got 119, predicted 5's across board - already 5s in most areas (she has a maths bias), highly recommended by school for grammar (2 and a 1 for Effort) and we did not get through Selection Review (although others in school did with lower 11+ score).

So we have decided to try the appeal route without telling ehr as we do not want to raise her hopes. Although realistically we do not hold out much hope, I had been concerned about the proving it was fair & consistent etc so you advise is much welcomed.

Looking at the allocations, should I assume that AHS will not have places and as SHF took ALL who applied is that a better proposition.

Do I apply for both? Not really sure how it works.

Also if they say the system is not fair and consistent, surely that will be the same for all who went through the process.

I must say that the previous leaflet sent with 11+ result said nothing about missing Selection Review and that would mean straight away our evidence would be looked at by IAP - it seemed to imply go straight to Review. Sadly I had not know of your forum!

I had someone who use to be on the IAPs look at evidence before and they had told me it was strong.

All a bit stressful. My older daughter did really well going through an Upper school so I know they are good but just feel for my younger daughter is far better suited to a grammar
Etienne

Re: HOW TO APPEAL against refusal of a Bucks GS place

Post by Etienne »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:Do I apply for both? Not really sure how it works.
Also if they say the system is not fair and consistent, surely that will be the same for all who went through the process.
This could happen with the appeals for a particular school, but not necessarily - there may be specific factors that apply only to a particular case.

Different appeal panels might come to different conclusions (and this would be entirely lawful).

Good luck!
Etienne
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Re: HOW TO APPEAL against refusal of a Bucks GS place

Thank you

I have requested an Appeal Pack for SHF as well now.

Seems a little labour intensive for both parents and Appeals people to have 2 documents for the same child.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

..... but your papers will (most likely) be going to two different panels, and no one can assume that your case is going to be the same. It may well be the same as far as qualification is concerned, but you ought to be addressing the issue 'Why this particular school?' The arguments you put forward for the two schools could be quite different.

See dejavu's case:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 5&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to "Two successful 12+ appeals for SHF and AHS")
Etienne
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Hi ConfusedAylesburyMum

Your case is very very similar to my daughter's and so I completely sympathise with you. I too, am not very hopeful but will do all I can to get the best outcome for my daughter.

We will be appealing to the same schools as you and like you, we are not telling our daughter, especially if the appeal is unsuccessful (why put them through more disappointment).

Anyway, I just wanted wish you luck. The process is quite daunting, but being on this site you will get the best advice and support.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Thanks BuzzyBee. We are going to focus on Maths and Music as her core strengths and reasons for selecting AHS or SHF - using slight different tack for both. My Eldest is in Yr 13 at SHF so we know how strong the music is there compared to our chosen Upper school (which is where my eldest went up until Sixth Form and the music dept was incredibly weak)

Etienne - thanks for that - have now got to grips with what is required (I think). Just had to get my head around the fact we are now appealing to the school and not about her 11+ results!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just had to get my head around the fact we are now appealing to the school and not about her 11+ results!
........ you're appealing on three grounds! :)
    • (d)11. To summarise section (d):
        • • On the information available to us at present
          we suggest there should be three parts to your case, clearly set out:

(i) Something about 'fair, consistent & objective':
              • • it could be as simple as "At the hearing we shall wish to challenge whether the Selection Review was 'fair, consistent & objective'" -
                • or, if you prefer, you could go into more detail now, listing your concerns ("We don't think the review process was fair, consistent & objective, because .........."), and adding "There may be further points we shall wish to raise at the hearing, having heard the Admission Authority's case."

(Ideal length: anything from a single sentence up to half-a-page)

Any questions as such should be left until the hearing.
          (ii) The case for selection: either "Please see our previously submitted Selection Review case and accompanying evidence" - or set out your updated case.
          (Ideal length: anything from a sentence up to a page. Any supporting evidence would be additional to this, and should be attached as appendices.)

(iii) Reasons for wanting or needing a place.
          (Ideal length: approx. half-a-page. Any supporting evidence would be additional to this, and should be attached as appendices.)
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=31030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Thanks for the clarification!!
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Just seen our Headteacher who is going all out to help us which is great.

She is going to write a further letter and pull together evidence of my daughters school work to show she is academically suitable for a Grammar school. She also checked our evidence from Selection Review and feels that is really strong so no real plans to change that.

So our focus is on the reasons for schools.

Can you help....
Based on the examples I was signposted to for successful appeals they did a lot of homework around the data from each school. So I am comparing results in particular for Maths. What would be really helpful to know would be what proportion of Year 7s go to an Upper school with a Level 5 (and in particular a 5A) in Maths compared to those going to AHS or SHF. Any suggestions where or if this is available?
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

You should be able to put it together from info in the public domain. Specifically the Department for education school statistics where it gives cohort information. High attainers were above level 4, middle attainers were at level 4. So for those finishing KS4 in 2012 at Aylesbury Vale Academy, 16 were at least level 5 at the end of KS2 and at Aylesbury Grammer school there were 168.

This being said, I am not really sure that this kind of data will help you with an appeal as you should not be saying why an upper school does not suit your child, only that a grammar does. Because if that kind of thing mattered, a lot more people would be successful at appeal.

What would help is to find out if those 2 grammar schools participate in maths competitions (of which your daughter would like to compete in) and that this is not available at any of the uppers you put of your CAF.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now