First week at new school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

First week at new school

Post by Guest »

My son is now at the end of the second week at our local grammer school. We have been trying to guage how he feels about. The only two responses we have had are " It is OK" and "It is school isn't it ". How are your children feeling?
katel

Post by katel »

Mine is as high as a kite - but that is a pretty usual state for her. I had coffee with some other mums from last years year 6's and their children are ranging from my dd's bubbling with excitement to another child who has told his mother "when I hate something this much I want to kill myself" I personally think it's too early to tell - I think "It's school, isn't it" sounds a pretty balanced response actually!
relieved

Post by relieved »

He hasn't said it yet,but I think the hard bit is fending for himself in school. No more mum asking the teacher in the morning about imporatnt things and having to deal with everything from the time table to asking for help .You have your new classmates with you but you have to do everything under your own steam.

But he has managed (exhausted with efforts) , is pleased with how he has handled each day and that says a lot - he's proud of himself and confidence is slowly but surely building up.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

He hasn't said it yet,but I think the hard bit is fending for himself in school.
I think this has been the hard bit for my son as well. He feels very anxious, but he has managed fine without me. In fact the lock of his locker jammed the first time he tried to open it, and he had to make the running to and fro to arrange with the caretakers at the school to either fix it or replace it for him. He really did chase them around at luchtimes repeatedly, and finally yesterday he got his locker with a brand new lock on it. Plus running around the school giving letters from me to the administration department, the headmaster, admissions section and so much more..
I have to say I never expected him to be able to deal with these. But dealing he is... :shock:
sj355
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

My son was reluctant to tell me about his day. All he managed was 'Its good' and 'i like it'..The first weeks have been tough,lots of homework,(two-three subjects per day). Yesterday he said that he 'loved the school'..So we are getting somewhere. Its just his age. He has a passion for chess so he has joined the lunch time chess club..
I think the school is fantastic...In our case,you get what you (struggle) to pay for! They had a midyis( ?) test yesterday. Does anyone know what this is? :D
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Guest1965 wrote:midyis
http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11410000

They are just baselining to determine Yr7 performance. More tests...

A bit like the use of CAT in primary....

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

....Efficio nostrum optimus
interested

Post by interested »

Animis opibusque parati
Efficio nostrum optimus
To those of us unintiated in Latin(?) what is the accurate translation of these phrases?

Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The first one is "Ready in Soul and Resource", the second is "to Do Our Best".

Just using a Latin translation site, for the second one.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now