Consortium Test - Copy of paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toostressed

Consortium Test - Copy of paper

Post by toostressed »

Hi, I originally contacted the school where my ds took his exam and was told there was no way I could get a copy of the paper until 1st March. Does anyone know how I can get a copy now? I know that the score is probably correct, but I don't understand why there is a shroud of secrecy over it. You can get copies of GCSE and A Level papers and even ask for them to be remarked!
I am still in shock at his score of 205 - he was blitzing the practice papers and is in top groups in his primary school. I would like to see the paper so I can draw a line under it. Any advice would be appreciated.
11nuts

Re: Consortium Test - Copy of paper

Post by 11nuts »

Its not usually the paper or the questions.

The problem is the level of competition, unfortunately due to the manor in which selective schools are run, finding a golden ticket is becoming more and more difficult.

I can understand the secrecy in all honesty. I would be surprised if they let you have a copy.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Is there a reason why you haven't approached the school and asked again now that 1st March is past?

I doubt that they will be willing to give you copies as the VR paper and possibly maths are likely to be reused at some point.

They may allow you to view the papers to give you peace of mind that they were your child's and that a mistake hasn't occurred.

You could also ask for a re mark.

If you feel that a mistake must have been made with the marking or recording you should lodge an appeal.
toostressed

Post by toostressed »

What do they have to gain by being secretive? The questions are either right or wrong, so there can be no argument if the papers are marked correctly. There is always the chance of human error. Secrecy breeds suspicion. If you have the paper in front of you and can see where your dc has gone wrong and there can be NO argument with that.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I think the reason for the secrecy is that, for VR in particular, they reuse the papers over the years so if they get out into the public domain then people could have access to the actual tests whilst they are preparing for the tests.

This would give those in the know a very unfair advantage.

Alison
instantsunshine

Post by instantsunshine »

Hi - I started a thread way back when the results first came out raising some of these matters - sorry I'm rubbish at posting links but here is a very useful reply from Etienne which may be of interest to you
In answer to some of the questions raised, I'm afraid there is no legal right to see the 11+ paper, as exam scripts are a specific exemption from the DPA (Data Protection Act). This is not to say that admission authorities cannot make the papers available at their discretion. (In the past, for example, Kent LA have allowed parents to view 11+ scripts by appointment - but I suspect this is far from being the norm.)

You do have a legal right to your child's raw scores - but the relevant authority is entitled to charge £10, and has up to 40 days in which to respond (although there is a clear expectation under the legislation that information shall be provided as promptly as possible).
A suggested template for DPA requests, such as raw scores, can be found here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not entirely sure of the legal position with regard to checks and re-marks, but I would have thought admission authorities would find it difficult to refuse if put under pressure. (If they do refuse, ask for this in writing!).
Out of interest, the system as it has been operated over in Bucks is set out here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28004&p=328615#p328615
and seems to me quite a reasonable way of handling matters.
Some admission authorities don't even charge for a re-mark!
Good luck.
I.S.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Toostressed, did you do any mocks at all? Great marks on practice papers and in the cosy environment of primary school do not equate to an examination room under pressure surrounded by people you don't know in a room you have never been in. There are many members on here who have very very able dc's who did not bring in the expected marks. Students come on boasting about how easy it was and then get a really low mark or in the indy sector do not get an interview. If you do a search on results from last year some students who were very able in maths got very low marks in the consortium Maths paper because it was in fact too easy for them so they rushed it and made careless mistakes, there is a whole long thread on this. You do not get the paper back in 11 plus exams, some schools do not even give you the mark. The cost of doing that and all the complaints they would have to deal with would swallow up hundreds of hours of the school's budget. DG
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

It sounds as though your DC may have inadvertently skipped some pages...? I cross- examined my DS afterwards about the questions and how many he thought he'd got right/wrong or skipped and the adrenaline seemed to have wiped all useful memory of the experience from his mind! I am going through the process again this Sept with DS2 and I think that it is so much better getting an indication of the scores ahead of time. I was disappointed by DS1's (relatively) low score and wasted an option on the CAF as he had no hope of gaining a place. I am sure that I hid this disappointment reasonably well and we are very proud of DS1's progress in Y7 (BM; targets of L6 for all subjects except for languages/PE! :lol: )
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

It is all to do with what other children get. Your son may have done very well in both of his papers, but could still come away with a score of 205 if the average mark for each paper was high. I certainly suspect that the average mark for the Maths paper is quite high.
watford

Post by watford »

I would love to see the paper my DD did!!!!

I think full of careless mistakes as is coming to light now!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now