Identifying HIKNOS Questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mike

Identifying HIKNOS Questions

Post by Mike »

Hi

Many people referencing the forum are made aware of a set of questions known as HIKNOS.

These are questions that have been classified by a publisher called IPS.

The classification closely follows the order and content of NFER familiarization papers (not shop purchased NFER practice papers).

To be able to identify IPS classified question types people either need to have access to or purchase IPS publications.

There is an easier, more direct and free way of identifying questions by type.

The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD1 covers all 21 question types and there is a free Demo available directly from this site that you can download immediately.

The first 15 question types are those that appear in the NFER practice papers and the last six questions are the additional "HIKNOS" questions.

16 = H
17 = I
18 = K
19 = N
20 = O
21 = S

Some people have asked why The Tutors did not copy the IPS classification.

Firstly, IPS letter the question types and give no description. Some of the letters are missing and we found it confusing to jump from U-Z. Th Tutors thought that numbering the question sets may be less confusing. The short descriptions used by The Tutors are a reference to help identify the question types.

Secondly, LEAs are moving towards 21 question types, but some particularly those with multiple subject tests still cover the 15 that are in the practice papers. The Tutors thought it would be better to cover the common 15 question types first and add the HIKNOS questions on at the end.

Thirdly, direct copying of another authors work, whether it is content or format, would have placed The Tutors in a possible breach of copyright that they wanted to avoid.

Regards

Mike
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Mike

Just to clarify, the letters on this denote the letters used by IPS, is that correct? I have an IPS book so can check which type of questions they are from that and also use the list on this site...Also are these questions the ones NOT used by Berks whereas Bucks use all 21 types?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Mike, do the tests on tutors cd2 cover all 21 types?

In kent we only do the first 15.
I was thinking of downloading teh cd but not sure whether it was relevant.
We haven't practised HIKNOS .

Basically what I am waffling abou tis that if all 21 question types are in each test this might skew %/result of test. I know that any practice in using your brain is good, but I am having enough time getting 'pupil x' to concentrate just on the 15!

with regard to naming typesof question I spent a few minutes making myself a table, with tutors number, description of tests and IPS classification. Suddenly everything is a lot clearer!!

I could post it if wanted, as I am but a normal human being!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi yoyo123

The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD2 tests do cover all 21 question types.

What might be of more help to you is the following; our original set of 12 e-papers were based on the NFER practice papers covering the 15 types of questions. Because of the increase in areas that were covering 21 types of questions, particularly the Wirral where we are based and Bucks, we re-formatted the papers to incorporate the additional 6 question types. The original question sets are still in the elevenplusexams.co.uk system, so if you contact them you may be able to obtain a set.

If there is a demand for the 15 question type e-papers we can discuss with elevenplusexams.co.uk the option of making them available in the e-papers section.

Regards

Mike
metalikaf

Post by metalikaf »

Hi Mike,
I know that Gloucestershire use the Nnfer tests,but can you tell me if they use the 15 or 21 question types.
Thanks
Metalikaf
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

I think gloucestermum may be able to give you some insight into the content of the Gloucestershire 11+ tests. Although their section of the forum discusses the tests and there are references to NFER, there are no references to 15 or 21 type questions.

Regards

Mike
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Gloucestermum here!!
Haven't been able to get to the bottom of this one-although tutor is 99% sure it is 21.Much more difficult to get info in Glos,as only a few grammar schools and the information is scarce.We did start out with Susan Daughtrey books,not doing the types that obviously weren't suitable for multiple choice.We then went to Bright Sparks,Walsh(hard!) and finally will do the NFER papers.

8 weeks to go to the test!
metalikaf

Post by metalikaf »

Hi,
Thanks,I will keep on with the 21 question types.
Can't do any harm.
As your revision is culminating with the Nnfer tests,do you feel that the questions set by them are harder than the other publishers.
We started of in the year with Bond papers,then Nnfer tests,and now I am using the Tutor papers off this site as whole tests and cutting them into bite sized daily chunks.
My daughter seems to be doing well on this.
Just revising harder questions like codes and alphabet sequences,but we are getting there.
Thanks
Metalikaf
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi,

Well I don't know if the NFER are any harder,it's just that NFER set the tests in Glos so tutor thinks it best to culminate with them!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Gloucestermum

If there is any suspicion at all that Gloucestershire schools set 21 question type NFER papers then it is important that as well as the NFER papers the student must look at the HIKNOS questions prior to the tests.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now