Reading 13+ - thoughts?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
studymum

Reading 13+ - thoughts?

Post by studymum »

As well as having a DD sitting for Kendrick in Oct, I have a DS who wants to try for Reading 13+.

He sat Reading and missed out on a place last year - came 123rd I think and although the waiting list moved, it didn't move enough for us. Luckily, after lots of waiting list movement, he got a space in his second choice school in Wokingham where he seems to be doing really well.

He has started talking about trying for Year 9 entry but that seems to be coming round really quickly now - January I think! I'm not sure though, obviously he scored well (but not enough) in the 11+ but I have no idea what to prepare for for the 13+, there aren't many resources! There are so few spaces in Year 9 that it seems very unlikely he'll get in. I know he says that he doesn't mind and it's worth a try but....

Has anyone got any recent personal experience of preparing for this?

stevew61

Re: Reading 13+ - thoughts?

Post by stevew61 »

There are a number of threads on the 13+ but you have to find them one by one as the search facility fails!

Preparation, use the CGP books for KS3 Maths, English and Science to fill in the gaps.

IIRC this year 76 sat for the 12 places. Lots of those sitting will be at indie schools where they have to move at age thirteen.

Entering Reading in Y9 is a challenge DS1 in Y12 feels that about half struggled and a few left after GCSEs. But if your DS is up for it, go for it.

My DS2 expressed an interest :shock: in taking this years 13+ but we decided for him Reading might be an option at sixth form, he is still lacking in focus and application. This year the sixth form took in about 40 boys, points system equates to 2As and 6Bs at GCSE. The school are keen to take as many as they can accommodate for funding reasons!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now