Tiffin Girls School: Relocation advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
princessdad

Tiffin Girls School: Relocation advice

Post by princessdad »

As of now…
Around middle of last year, we came to know that we have to relocate to London (from North) due to work requirements. We have applied and attended the 11+ tests for a select few of the schools in and around London and very much to our delight we have been offered a place in Tiffin Girls School, which was apparently our first choice in the CAF form.

Next steps…
Now that half of the hard work is done, the next step is to decide on relocating to an area from where it is easier to commute to TGS. We are even open for up to 30 min travel in any form of public transport. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls School: Relocation advice

Post by tiffinboys »

There are very many good areas around TGS. So lot will depend on your budget and need for other schools, if you have more children.

1. North Kingston/Ham/Richmond - close to TGS, housing is generally expensive.
2. Surbiton - again a nice area.
3. New Malden - commuters delight, looking at the number of people at station.
4. Worcestrer Park - slightly away from Kingston, but affordable housing.

Other nice areas nearby are Wimbledon or Esher or even Twickenham, but commuting would take longer, than the above areas.

Hope you find this useful.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Teddington, Strawberry Hill, Twickenham all about 10 mins or so on the train to Kingston and then a mile walk or bus to Tiffins. Thames Ditton, Hinchley Wood - used to be a bus but I think that may have recently been stopped.
princessdad

Post by princessdad »

Thanks tiffinboys! To be honest, I was expecting a response from you like you have been doing in the other threads in this region. As usual, a very useful post. I will explore the options you have provided.

Also, a very good point regarding other schools. But, she is our only child and we do not have dependency for other schools. However, if we plan to relocate before Sep-2013 (as I am already working in London and family back in North), we might look for a primary school to complete rest of Year 6 (the last 3+ months of primary school).
princessdad

Post by princessdad »

bel wrote:Teddington, Strawberry Hill, Twickenham all about 10 mins or so on the train to Kingston and then a mile walk or bus to Tiffins. Thames Ditton, Hinchley Wood - used to be a bus but I think that may have recently been stopped.
Thanks bel! That is useful!!
Walk from Kingston station is not that difficult as we tried it when we were there for the tests. In fact it is quicker that way rather than waiting for the bus.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

House prices in London are obscene.

A modest 4-bed house close to the school will cost £600,000.

Example:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 54074.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Within walking distance of Lancaster Girls Grammar for a similar price:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 98750.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or for one third of the price:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... miumA=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even at current historically mortgage rates you would need, conservatively, a £20,000 payrise to consider moving from the north to London, and based on historical affordability ratios, it would be closer to £100k.

In reasonable parts of SW London, half-a-million pounds won't buy you a nice family house.
princessdad

Post by princessdad »

Thanks twelveminus! That is some comparison of prices :shock:

Thanks for the advice on the difference as well. Fortunately, I did the math prior to accepting the move from North to London and sorted out the differences :)

Initial idea is to go for rental properties and do a proper homework before making a long term investment on a house!
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Rentals are much more variable, pricewise. Internal condition makes a big difference to price for example on rentals.

We have a good price on a rental, we pay roughly 3.5% of capital value annually.

Flats tend to be the worst buy. Sometimes the most expensive rents can be a good deal, if you will go that high, because few people will, even though they are willing to buy at say £1m.

This house is expensive:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 59942.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it sold for £1.45 million in 2011, so it's actually cheaper to rent than buy.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

If you want somewhere near TGS then Ham is cheaper, mainly because it is a long way from a station so not the best if your work is in Central London. Also worth looking at property near Tudor Drive area as it is easily walkable to school. Basically price falls considerably when you are more than about 15 mins walk to a station (I live nearby and cycle to station which is really easy in Kingston as cycle routes are common)

Would also look around Norbiton (near hospital) as can take 371 bus to near TGS
Alternatively Surbiton is good for commuting and there is a direct school bus to TGS (the 671), its worth going on TfLs site and looking at 671 route as property is cheaper nearer Tolworth and Chessington.

Would avoid Richmond as there is only one road through Petersham and congestion can be a problem and make the bus unreliable.

As suggested, many girls walk from Kingston station so you could pick somewhere with direct train to Kingston (however I think TfL only gives free bus passes, your daughter might need to pay for train, but not sure on this).

Finally wouldn't worry too much about last few months of primary school. Most primaries in Kingston are good and in TGS area (KT2 postcode) a few parents take their kids out in year 5 or start of year 6 to join independants schools to get a place, so local primaries often have spaces in year 6 only. Dont suggest moving your DD just before SATs, but if she has a TGS place she might coast level 5 anyway. After SATs I think the primaries do more activities and trips than learning anyway.
princessdad

Post by princessdad »

Loads of useful informtion and valuable tips there Snowdaddy!

You are right, I have to commute to Central London for work...to be more precise, office close to Liverpool street station. As you have suggested, cycle to the nearyby station is a good option.

Also, thanks for your inputs on the primary school. I have browsed the "The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames" website for primary schools and also had a quick chat with their admissions team. As you have pointed out, there are a few options available for primary school in the north Kingston area. It's more of decision time now :? :!:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now