Moving to High Wycombe

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chintudi

Moving to High Wycombe

Post by Chintudi »

We are planning to move to High Wycombe in June-July as my partner's job is changing. I have managed to find enough information about the entry to the Selective /grammar school in Bucks. With the new format exam and the time we have got to prepare , it does look like a daunting task. I would really appreciate any tips from parents considering the time frames we have got. Also any advice on what other secondary schools i.e non-grammar school that have shown good results, will be much appreciated.
Garnett

Re: Moving to High Wycombe

Post by Garnett »

Hi Chintudi & welcome!
You are right it is a daunting task, but all of us year 5 parents are in the same boat really in that the new exam is an unknown quantity.
You will be able to find a lot of information from this website with regards prep and resource materials for the exam. Parents have been advised that the Bucks exam is not going beyond the current Year 5 syllabus. We are going down the DIY route with our child, so we are concentrating on maths, english and NVR as well as encouraging her to read as much as possible.
With regards to upper schools in the Wycombe area, I think it probably depends on the area where you end up living ie catchment. All of the schools are detailed on here & the BCC site.
For those that live on the Bucks/Oxon border, the Oxfordshire comprehensives can also be an option.
Chintudi

Post by Chintudi »

Thanks Garnett,

I am trying to go through masses of information that is available here. We too are following DIY route as there is no selective schooling in our current county and hence no one talks about a grammar school or any tutions. It is helpful to know that more parents are in similiar situation due to the change in exam format.

Would you be able to elaborate on how to prepare for English? Reading variety is a challenge as DS is more into facts and non-fiction books. We are doing word cards and word lists etc for vocab part but what else can be done. Would be able to recommend any resources for comprehending skills?
Am I correct in assuming that there in no VR ( 21 techniques type) at all.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

Hi Chintudi
I think any kind of reading that will extend your child's vocab is the main thing. It sounds as though you are are doing quite a bit already with the word lists and cards.
Have you looked at stickys and posts from the Birmingham Forum? They are very helpful.
The CGP practice books are very good for maths & english.
Also worth looking at is the Schofield & Sims website for materials.
Bond's English books have quite a lot of comprehension exercises in them.
You are correct that the new exam will not be based on the 21 question types in VR. My understanding is that the VR may be based on comprehension, cloze and vocab/grammar questions/exercises.
Good luck !