Colchester primaries, please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
akha

Colchester primaries, please

Post by akha »

Dear All,
I know everyone is hot on the allocations, scores, waiting list topics at the moment, but i thought you all great people won't leave my plea for a good piece of advise unnoticed:)
We currently reside in Ipswich and our son is sitting 11+ exam this year , aiming for CRGS. This same year we need to apply for a primary school place for our youngest son. So if DS1 scores highly enough, we thought that we could rent out our house in Ips and rent in Colchester (unfortunately no time for sale/buy malarky). We would really appreciate it if you could advise good primaries in Colchester and surrounding areas, so we can visit them and rent/buy in their catchment.
Thank you!
KB

Re: Colchester primaries, please

Post by KB »

There are several good primaries in central Colchester and at least one on the outskirts and some good village schools so it might help if you could give some indication of preferred type of location?

Also - I'm not up to date with current situation but have you checked the tight regulations on residence/application dates to make sure your strategy will work ok? Essex LEA admissions booklet sets it out in detail.

Sure there will be lots of opinions voiced very soon!
akha

Post by akha »

Thank you, KB! Any decent/safe area with a train station for the OH and an easy journey to CRGS for DS1. I would have thought there shouldn't be a problem with the application as we are genually going to move to the area and live there, and the application will be submitted before the deadline... Or am I fundamentally wrong here? If we stay where we are, then DS2 will start a local primary and poor DS1 would need to commute to Colchester, which we all agreed is not an option for us..;( I am glad there are good ones though, thank you!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

As I understand it you don't need to be in catchment for CRGS.
akha

Post by akha »

No you don't for CRGS, but, unfortunately you do for a primary school for our 3 y.o , who happens to be olso 2014 entry:) on the way to ofxord house prep open evening now, will see may be it is not that that pushy as i ve heard. Sorry , writing from iphone:)
Rubycat

Post by Rubycat »

I would say have a look at Hamilton Road, it's very near to CRG and they have quite a few pupils pass the 11+, look at the league tables and you will see the high % of level 5.
skatermum

Post by skatermum »

Tendring Primary School is lovely. Rated outstanding, consistently over subscribed. You would need to be in catchment area to stand any chance of a place.
Marv7878

Post by Marv7878 »

If you are thinking of private schools, I would definitely recommend Oxford House. I have 2 DC there at the moment and my eldest DS went there from year 4 (now at CRGS). Literally next door to the grammar (so makes school run easier); in nice location of Colchester (Lexdon Road); prepare children very thoroughly for 11+ and consequently very high success rate (think I am right in saying that in recent years 12 -14 children have passed out of max. class size of 18). Open evening tonight (just off there myself) 6.30 - 9.30, but if you were interested I am sure they would show you around any time. Often have a waiting list but we got in by phoning every couple of months (lots of professional parents whose work relocates them within UK or overseas so places do become available for time to time). Good luck
akha

Post by akha »

Thank you very much, everyone! Some very good suggestion! We viewed Hamilton primary couple of weeks ago. It ,indeed , is perfectly located for Grgs and children seem to be happy and outgoing. Oxford house made a very good impression today too. Will look into Tendring now! Thank you!
toolate

Post by toolate »

Not meaning to throw the cat in amongst the pigeons, but the commute from Ipswich is not that bad. I think quite a few do it. My DS will be on a bus at 7.45 am, which someone else mentioned was almost the same time as their DS who lives in Colchester.

Of course if you need an excuse to leave Ipswich for historic Colchester - then I fully understand!