Appeal for ahs

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
miltonkeynesmum

Appeal for ahs

Post by miltonkeynesmum »

Hi Sally Anne Etienne just wanting some advice regarding appeal for Aylesbury Girls School DD really wants us to appeal not sure what success rate is for appeals for school?

Also we were unsuccuccesful at review I followed your advice had an EP report which was really good kept everything brief with other bits and pieces. I do have email from admissions which states that I had to go through review first. have read your advice on appeals . Want to know do I pose the questions re review fair and consistent on appeal form or wait until hearing sounds so complicated :cry:
Etienne

Re: Appeal for ahs

Post by Etienne »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:not sure what success rate is for appeals for school?
I'm afraid we don't usually have the success rate for each individual school, but you can ask them if you want to.
Any such figures would relate to oversubscription only, though - we're in a new situation now with reviews.
Want to know do I pose the questions re review fair and consistent on appeal form or wait until hearing
What I advise is:
      • (i) Something about 'fair, consistent & objective':
            • • it could be as simple as "At the hearing we shall wish to challenge whether the Selection Review was 'fair, consistent & objective'" -

• or, if you prefer, you could go into more detail now, listing your concerns ("We don't think the review process was fair, consistent & objective, because .........."), and adding "There may be further points we shall wish to raise at the hearing, having heard the Admission Authority's case."

(Ideal length: anything from a single sentence up to half-a-page)

Any questions as such should be left until the hearing.
Good luck.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:Hi Sally Anne Etienne just wanting some advice regarding appeal for Aylesbury Girls School DD really wants us to appeal not sure what success rate is for appeals for school?
The school went over PAN by anything between 1 and 5 places every year for four years until last year, when it was undersubscribed.

Unless any of those girls were in-year or late admissions and they had statements naming the school (fairly improbable) those places must have resulted from successful oversubscription appeals.
miltonkeynesmum

Hi have got appeals forms just wondering whether I should ask for notes of unsuccessful review or wait until papers are sent to me nearer the appeal hearing.

Also Dd wants to go to all girls her reasoning being that currently all naughty kids in class are boys! She is so adamant about this that we even went to Bedford girls open morning to look at alternatives. I was wondering if this could be put forward as a reason for preferring AHS ie naughty disruptive behaviour. Most of the boys are likely to go to school she's being offered

When questioned about their behaviour she says they are mean and rude.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:Hi have got appeals forms just wondering whether I should ask for notes of unsuccessful review or wait until papers are sent to me nearer the appeal hearing.
The notes appear to be minimal. I would have thought this could probably be left until you receive the paperwork nearer the hearing date.
Also Dd wants to go to all girls her reasoning being that currently all naughty kids in class are boys! She is so adamant about this that we even went to Bedford girls open morning to look at alternatives. I was wondering if this could be put forward as a reason for preferring AHS ie naughty disruptive behaviour. Most of the boys are likely to go to school she's being offered
To be honest, this may not carry much weight because there isn't any evidence. I'm assuming for the moment you can't prove the disruption or how this has affected her? Of course, if the class teacher were to write a letter strongly supporting an all-girls' school, it could be a different matter. Otherwise, I think the most you could do would be to mention it very briefly at the hearing - one sentence!

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... us#p350235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
miltonkeynesmum

Thanks Etienne I don't think it is bullying as such but since she started year 6 she has become more sensitive and her perception of boys has changed she says that they are disruptive and annoying, she has really matured in her outlook and in respect of her commitment to her school work. She says that they are immature and make silly and inappropriate comments in class and she can't concentrate.

I hadn't even considered mentioning on the form our religion as I was thinking of filling the form on behalf if DD and what her preference was . i thought mentioning our religion might be counterproductive. :?:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

i thought mentioning our religion might be counterproductive.
I don't think so. It may not be a major point (most children, after all, attend co-ed schools, whatever their religion), but it's probably worth a brief mention if supported by a religious leader.
she has really matured in her outlook and in respect of her commitment to her school work.
That approach sounds better, and I would now suggest including a couple of lines in your written case:
    • "Since she started year 6 she has become more sensitive, and her perception of boys has changed. She is finding them disruptive and immature! She has really matured in her outlook and in respect of her commitment to her school work, and she particularly wants to attend an all-girls' school where she feels she will be able to flourish and focus on her work."
If applicable:
    • "We also have religious reasons - please see attached letter of support."
As I've written elsewhere, a lot will depend on factors outside your control:
  • • How strong a case the admission authority puts forward to resist further admissions.
    • (Probably) how strong a case the other appellants have.
    • How strict the appeal panel is in exercising its judgement.
Etienne
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

One of the reasons we wanted DS to go to grammar school was it was an all boys school & when we appealed we asked our local mosque to confirm on headed paper that our religion preferred single sex schools after children reach a certain age or when they become aware! :shock: :shock:

Well I thought I nipped my boys in the bud, but oooooh how very wrong I was. :lol: :lol: :lol:
miltonkeynesmum

Thanks Etienne what kind of things could we ask to be included in letter. ? We are active members of mosque community DH is involved in fund raising voluntary work etc Dd and I have worked on mosque radio is that sort of thing relevant ? Or just concentrate on religious reasons and preference for single sex school? Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:Thanks Etienne what kind of things could we ask to be included in letter. ? We are active members of mosque community DH is involved in fund raising voluntary work etc Dd and I have worked on mosque radio is that sort of thing relevant ?
I'm afraid not.
Or just concentrate on religious reasons and preference for single gender school?
Yes - the only reason is that at 11+ there is a strong religious preference for a girls only school.

However, if she's been learning Arabic, and doing really well at the subject, perhaps that could be mentioned as well (to add to the academic evidence).
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now