13+ exam at Chesham Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
popata

13+ exam at Chesham Grammar

Post by popata »

Hi

Thanks so much for this forum. It’s been so helpful. Can anyone please advise me?

My DS has a 13+ exam at Chesham grammar at the end of January.

I need advice on suitable materials please. It’s the first time of them handing their exams...

I expect to get some familiarisation materials from them on 07.12.12, but thought there maybe someone else in my shoes who could offer advice

Thanks
oo
scary mum

Re: 13+ EXAM IN CHESHAM GRAM.

Post by scary mum »

This should help:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Popata - Did you get your letter from Chesham for testing? Is it Maths and English test, as I assumed it was VR and NVR.

They refused my DC because they didn't have the level 5 in English, looks like I have to appeal to Bucks CC, but I thought they were managing there own admissions. Oh well, will contact them on Monday.
popata

Re: 13+ exam at Chesham Grammar

Post by popata »

Hi
I am so sorry. I have just seen your reply

I hope your appeal went well. My DD was given a level 4 in his SATs but a teacher recommendation of 5. Based on this he was tested... Like you said in VR and NVR

I sure wish you all the best

Regards
popata

Post by popata »

Sorry I meant, tests were VR, NVR, English and Maths

Multiple choice tests, though

All the best

P
popata

Post by popata »

scary mum wrote:This should help:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so sorry... Just seen your reply

Thanks
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

The results for the late entry CGS were posted this week on Monday, has anyone received their results. The standardised score required to pass is 85 for both Verbal and Maths.

My DC achieved a score of 115 in Maths and 80 in Verbal. They have advised me that my DC is not considered suitably qualified for CGS. They have stated that I can request a Selection Review.

I am a bit confused what is the difference between a Selection Review and Appeal? Can I chose one or another?
What happens at the Selection Review and do I need to attend? What evidence should I present?

Shame they don't add the scores and then get an average because then my DC would have achieved 100.

Any help of Selection Reviews would be grateful. Thanks
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

slough mum wrote:The results for the late entry CGS were posted this week on Monday, has anyone received their results. The standardised score required to pass is 85 for both Verbal and Maths.

My DC achieved a score of 115 in Maths and 80 in Verbal. They have advised me that my DC is not considered suitably qualified for CGS. They have stated that I can request a Selection Review.

I am a bit confused what is the difference between a Selection Review and Appeal? Can I chose one or another?
What happens at the Selection Review and do I need to attend? What evidence should I present?

Shame they don't add the scores and then get an average because then my DC would have achieved 100.

Any help of Selection Reviews would be grateful. Thanks
I expect they don't average the scores for the same reason they specify SATs 5s in English and Maths to be able to sit the test. To be suited to a grammar school, a child needs a minimum level of English and Maths. Your DC has scored very well in Maths and should be rightly proud, but mathematical ability perhaps underpins fewer subjects than strength in English.

As far as Selection Review is concerned, I'm not sure of the format. However, irrespective of the format it takes, the main argument you will have to contend with is that your DC's score on the Verbal test reflects his/her SATs level in English. I know that you had to appeal to sit the test because s/he didn't have the level 5 in English. A review panel would probably conclude that the original refusal to test was the right decision. I'm sorry that sounds a very blunt assessment but it is why the review will be a difficult one. To stand a chance of success, you will need compelling evidence that your DC's ability in English was not reflected in the test result or SATs levels.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

My DC was not refused testing for CGS. They do ask for a L5 in SATs maths and English. If these levels are not met the a supporting letter from the current head is required.

My DC had moved up two sub levels in English within one term and the head provided a supporting letter hence DC was able to sit the test (without an appeal).

When I spoke with CGS they did say that parents will be requesting a selection review and their Child score is lower than mine.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A panel could well take the approach anotherdad suggests - but not necessarily.

If we look at the normal point of entry, a not insignificant number of boys start year 7 at grammar school without level 5 English. Knowing this, a panel might possibly take a different approach.

There have certainly been successful cases where a panel has taken the view that a very considerable ability in maths/science compensates for a relative weakness in English.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now