Living in Alcester/nearby

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KatieG

Living in Alcester/nearby

Post by KatieG »

Hi everyone

My son has a place at AGS and we are considering a move closer to the area. The 'Living in Stratford' thread has been really useful but I also wondered if I should consider Alcester itself.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Alcester or nearby as a place to live? We were originally thinking about moving to Stratford but I wonder if living in Alcester would be easier and the primaries ( we also have two daughters) seem good.(haven't looked around yet) Or would I spend my life driving into stratford anyway for the kid's activities/shopping etc.

Thanks
serendippyty

Re: Living in Alcester/nearby

Post by serendippyty »

Alcester is lovely but you would have to come into Stratford for some things (although the uniform shop is in Alcester so we all have to troop over there for uniforms!). It has a nice community feel to it and some nice little shops for browsing and is less touristy. Property is also cheaper. I know nothing about the primary schools though.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Dh says Alcester is a nice place, a small town. Property will be a lot cheaper there and it is only about 7 miles from Stratford.
KatieG

Post by KatieG »

Thank you serendippyty and ginx. I appreciate the help. Need to go over and look at the primaries and other facilities I guess which will help decide.
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

primaries in and around Alcester are fantastic and you would be spoiled for choice, some are oversubscribed. I would also suggest looking around them as they each have their own "feel". Property is definitely cheaper than Stratford and it has the feel of a large village community, with bank, post office, doctors, dentists, library (albeit tiny) and shops, pubs etc. The Queen's Jubilee, Royal Wedding and Olympic Torch Relay (for example) were all very well supported. Stratford is wonderful for obvious reasons. Both are on bus routes which helps when the children are older. Both are good places to live but for quite different reasons.
KatieG

Post by KatieG »

Thanks Hopeful. That's really useful to hear. Now I'm more confused :lol:
Need to go and do some investigating.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now