EHS or Sutton Grammar for daughter?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coolav

EHS or Sutton Grammar for daughter?

Post by coolav »

Hi all - a dilema.

Daughter has an offer from Sutton Grammar and also EHS (30% scholarship).
Currently at Blue Coats, we live in Edgbaston.
She academically middle of the class.
If money a non issue and happy to travel, which one would you send to?

Will EHS stretch her, or allow her to drift down?
I know its warm and caring, and excellent facilities, but they take all abilities and left to her own devices she will not work. 20 children/class.

Will Sutton Grammar be too much and she be out of her depth or will the peers around pull her up?
30 children/class. Are they nuturing and will they help a child who isn't cruising?

If anyone has children at either (or even both) would be eternaly grateful for advice. Missed open day at Sutton, am visiting next week. EHS open day fantastic, all staff and children seemed happy and enthusiastic.
Thanks in advance.
saracenshen

Re: EHS or Sutton Grammar for daughter?

Post by saracenshen »

We have a similar dilemma with SGS and a scholarship for EHS. We live near SGS and also think we might be lucky enough to be offered KEVIHS too.

Thorughout the winter I was hoping to get SGS as was concerned about travel. EHS was a backup as was KEHS. But now with a scholarship and the possibility of being offered KEVIHS I don't know what I will do. EHS has the benefit of smaller class sizes. Any advice appreciated.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Complete no brainer if you're near SCGSG, go for that one. EHS is a nice school but it's effectively equivalent to a good comp in a posh area. It's really not worth travelling right across B'ham to get there, and then paying for the privilege of being there, when you have a GS place on your doorstep.

The OP's dilemma is more tricky. I assume money isn't an issue since she's already at Bluecoat. Someone who gets a scholarship and a GS place is almost certainly not "middle of the class" in overall terms, I'd be inclined to suggest that she'd have an opportunity to shine academically at EHS and develop more confidence in her own abilities whereas she'd probably languish in the crowd at GS.

Mike
saracenshen

Post by saracenshen »

Thanks Mike. Think you are right, it is madness for our DD to travel further for EHS when we have a GS on our doorstep. Might be back on for advice on whether we should take the KEVIHS place if we get offered it as loved the school and facilities there even more.

However if I lived in Edgbaston and money was no object I would choose EHS after viewing it last week.
coolav

Post by coolav »

Thanks Mike.
She scored 215 (or was it 216?) which is the cut off for Sutton, she missed RoseHill by 1 point. Thats what I meant by 'middle of the class' though I guess you're right about the scholarship at EHS. It feels like she's just scraped into the grammar school but the EHS scholarship is a contrast. I keep hearing that children aren't pushed at EHS, thats my concern, that she'll be allowed to drift (but be happy).
With the large class size at Sutton, I wonder if they will be responsive enough to help her if she ever needs it.
Open day at Sutton next Tuesday which I hope will help.
Poppins

Post by Poppins »

Saracenshen,

I know very few people from Sutton Coldfield area, as we live in Edgbaston, and I am interested to get as many perspectives as possible re: SCGSG, as we have been offered the school (placed it 3rd choice after CHG and FW, as easily reachable via cross-city line).

My questions are :
1. Do usually girls from Sutton Coldfield area place SCGSG as their first choice on their form (ahead of KE Schools such as Camphill/Five Ways/Handsworth)?
2. What would motivate bright Sutton Coldfield girls to get the cross-city line to KEHS... (there are a few of those girls doing this trip every day)....is this because their DPs see a distinct advantage in KEHS over their local Grammar School or because they simply did not succeed at their KE Grammar Test?

In summary any information you would have re: Sutton Coldfield Grammar School perception from local Sutton Coldfield people would be very helpful!
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Poppins,

Don't know about the girls school but I have a friend in Sutton who put BV down as first choice followed by a Sutton comp as 2nd choice for her boys. In her opinion the perveived superiority of the KE GS didn't outway the daily commute. In fact she didn't even bother to look round the other GS.
saracenshen

Post by saracenshen »

Hi

To my knowledge in DDs year more DC are going to SCGSG and BV than other GS as some parents do not even consider sending their child any further. However I know some probably applied and may well be going to others like Camp Hill/Aston/Handsworth. I viewed Handsworth for my DD and loved it as the grounds are bigger and their sports facilities in my opinion outshine SCGSG, but was torn with the travelling she would have to do. I guess its just the parents preference on which school suits their child.

Those that go to KEHS go there as their DPs chose it over GS, not because they did not succeed. Hope this helps.
Poppins

Post by Poppins »

Many thanks to both, very helpful! Both SCGSG and BV seem to get overlooked by DPs outside the Sutton area, especially as both schools have only recently joined the Consortium. I do find it strange as both are more easily commutable for those DC leaving in the South of Birmingham via the cross city line than other KE Schools via the Green Bus route.

Anyway, to the point of KES/KEHS, I do know that some parents will prefer independent schools over Grammar Schools, but also know of other DPs (when they can afford it) who will choose KES/KEHS when their DCs have not succeeded to get a GS, or a GS of their choice.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That might be why they choose to take the exams, but it's not really much of a contingency. The exams are not necessarily any easier than the GS exam; some boys pass for KES but not for GS (and vice versa), but I don't recall anyone here ever saying their daughter had passed for KEHS but not for GS. IMHO it's probably somewhat more difficult for a state school pupil to pass KES/KEHS than GS.

We put BV on our son's form but I regretted it and would have been seriously stressed if he'd been offered it; it's one thing to hop on the cross city line when everything's working well, quite another in January when the train service is a bit shaky and there's (say) heavy snow forecast. It would be a 30 mile round trip if we had to retrieve him or to attend school events. We didn't put SCGSG on our daughter's form...

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now