Views on Edgbaston High for Girls v KEHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minicooper

Views on Edgbaston High for Girls v KEHS

Post by Minicooper »

Hi all,

Can anyone please comment on Edgabston High for Girls compared to KEHS?

MC
mike1880

Re: Views on Edgbaston High for Girls v KEHS

Post by mike1880 »

More sporty, less academic, more old fashioned (except the theatre thingy - I expected the head to rise from the floor in a leather armchair stroking a white cat at the open day). It reminded me very strongly of my own school days (high performing comp in the 70s) both in terms of levels of work on display and apparent style of education. Very obviously far less money to spend than the KE foundation schools and a much less forgiving site to work with.

Nice school, in other words, but I think you're effectively paying for something you get free if you're in catchment for one of the really good Solihull comps. But I do know someone who chose it over both GS and KEHS, any of which I think they would have got with reasonable certainty.

Mike
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Yes, agree with mike1880's assessment. Good for the sporty and less academic.

Incidentally they seemed to have given a large number of high value (50%) scholarships this year, possibly an attempt to lure girls away from KEHS which gives away far less in academic scholarship. When I spoke to the lady at KEHS (Deputy I think?) she said that, of the girls/parents requesting a further visit, she hadn't come across anyone who hadn't got a scholarship for EHS, which was interesting.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

moseleymum wrote:Incidentally they seemed to have given a large number of high value (50%) scholarships this year, possibly an attempt to lure girls away from KEHS which gives away far less in academic scholarship. When I spoke to the lady at KEHS (Deputy I think?) she said that, of the girls/parents requesting a further visit, she hadn't come across anyone who hadn't got a scholarship for EHS, which was interesting.
They've been doing that for a few years now - our daughter was offered a 50% scholarship two years ago, as were both others from her state primary who applied that year, and a tutor I spoke to said all her pupils likewise. I don't think it's an attempt to lure people away from KEHS (obviously fails if that's the case, most of daughter's class are from EHS prep - and even a 50% scholarship can't compete with the sheer future-proofness - is there such a word? - of a KEHS assisted place for those who obtain one). I think it's more that they're trying to boost their academic strength, and replace the clever girls they lose to KEHS from their prep department, by recruiting clever girls from state schools. If that's the idea, their results over the last few years suggest it's working. My suspicion would be that any really able girl applying from a state primary will be offered a good scholarship.

We only wanted to put our daughter in for the GS exam, KEHS and one other indie as a final safety net; we also contemplated Solihull (but our daughter didn't want to go to a co-ed) and St Martins (but that seemed too small to be certain it would offer the right opportunities later on) so the choice went to EHS. I think I would have been quite happy if she'd ended up there, and the scholarship certainly meant we had to give it serious consideration, but after we went round everywhere again EHS was a definite distant third place in our minds behind CHG and KEHS.

Mike
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mike1880 wrote:except the theatre thingy - I expected the head to rise from the floor in a leather armchair stroking a white cat at the open day)
:lol: :lol:
It's nice to read you again often, Mike! We missed your sense of humour! :wink: ... without mentioning your always enlightening comments and thoughts!
AdamSmith

Post by AdamSmith »

daughter has been at EHS for 18 months (started Y7) having been to good state primary; we think it is excellent and that she is sufficiently 'pushed' (she is stong in maths & languages), facilities are all you might hope sports-wise (indoor pool, good astro pitch, netball courts) - not into drama/music etc so can't comment but hear is good too. Not sure re: Mike's comment implying lack of funds - seems well-resouced to me, and am comparing to other prominent independents in the region. Science & maths seem to get good focus - headmistress being a biochemist may be influential there.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

http://www.edgbastonhigh.co.uk/about-eh ... stinations

Nothing wrong with the above, imho it shows that someone with the ability will get the education and opportunities to match.

Not well resourced: the newer facilities are undeniably very nice, but overall it all looks a lot more tired and well-worn than any of the KEs I've seen (incl. the GSs), and in comparison with the KE indies there's also not much bursary money in evidence (bursaries swallow a lot more resources than scholarships - especially if a lot of the scholarship offers aren't taken up, as appears to be the case!).

EHS really dropped the ball on our "return visit" after offers day and basically ruled themselves out for reasons known only to themselves (I suspect a major organisational foul up). KEHS and CHG both made a vastly better fist of the opportunity, but in very different ways.

Mike
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

AdamSmith wrote:Not sure re: Mike's comment implying lack of funds - seems well-resouced to me, and am comparing to other prominent independents in the region.
possibly to do with the fact that the KE foundation is seriously wealthy - owns lots of property etc etc
tammy555

Post by tammy555 »

EHS is hardly tired in appearance, It has wonderful facilities. It is a much larger school than KEHS as it starts from pre-prep, the layout therefore can appear confusing. I would not compare it to a local comp in any shape or form! KEHS is an academically sound choice but I do hear that some girls do struggle to keep up.

EHS has a good teaching programme that builds confidence and the pace is tailored to suit the child. The decision ultimately comes down to what you think your DD is capable of. Education must promote confidence in being able to achieve to the best of ones abilities.