Graveney - various queries

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ClappedOutMum

Graveney - various queries

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Well since this forum is supposed to cover Wandsworth, and looking towards options next year, I wonder if there is any news on what result was expected in the Wandsworth test to get in on selective route this year?

Do you actually find out your result?

Actually, aren't Graveney supposed to tell you your result prior to the CAF being completed so you know whether its worth putting it in the form to begin with? I know they don't but wonder how they can avoid that.
Sally-Anne

Re: Graveney - various queries

Post by Sally-Anne »

ClappedOutMum wrote:Well since this forum is supposed to cover Wandsworth
Wandsworth was added to the title more in hope than expectation, I'm afraid. There are very few posts about it on here.

I can't help with your specific questions about results, but I can help with this:
Actually, aren't Graveney supposed to tell you your result prior to the CAF being completed so you know whether its worth putting it in the form to begin with? I know they don't but wonder how they can avoid that.
A few schools and one LA (Bucks) didn't move to the new timetable for what were cited to be logistical reasons and were granted exemption on various grounds. They should all comply in the coming year.
Snowdon

Post by Snowdon »

Hi there, my dd got Graveney through selection this year (we are out of borough). She scored 100% in nv and close to that in the vr. They posted the results our after allocation day but I think it was possible to phone the council for the results a month or so ago.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Congratulations, snowdon.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

I saw the letter received by a parent (who didn't get their DC in) which said the maximum score was 282, but only those scoreng 250 and above were offered places. It then went on to say as your child did not score above 273, a place woudl not be offered. The score was 249 and so close to that 250 figure and perhaps a chance on waiting list.

However, I think the 250 was likely a typo. And 273 is the correct result.

How does 273 correlate to the percentile in the bell curve?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Top 1%.

Wandsworth test is taken by all of the borough's children for banding purpose, so the number of children taking test is very high. From out of borough, children who are interested in selective places also register for the test. So top 1% may appear more difficult than it really is, as noted by some of the previous posters.

However, cut-off of 273 looks quite high.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Thanks, TiffinBoys. Any idea how that translates into raw marks. I know it varies year on year, but in a typical 80 question paper, does that mean more than 70 right or more than 79!??

Alao any wisdom as to how Graveney selection compares to say Tiffin. Are they as hard as each to get in?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think snowdon would be able to give more info for this year's test.

My colleague's DC took the test last year - scored in 270s. He had found Tiffins tests to be much harder and didn't get in there. I would think that some children would be achieving almost 100% raw marks.

Also the cohort for the two tests are very different. In Wandsworth every one takes the test - so all ability children would be taking it. I think you have a fair idea of the children taking Tiffin tests.
Snowdon

Post by Snowdon »

I can only tell you that the we are given a score out of 141 being the maximum possible and minimum possible is 69. Scores are age standardised and have a mean average of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. I think the test may be slightly easier than the tiffin test due to the number of questions in the time frame, however it is by no means easy to gain a selective place. My dd is my 3rd dc to sit the test. My 2nd dc did not gain a selective place (or would not have done based on his scores) but got a gs place anyway. Over 2000 children every year take this test and the majority of those children place graveney as one of their higher/highest preference. In addition there are many extremely bright children (in fact the majority at my dc's primary school) that have not even considered grammar schools due to the distance. I would imagine that this is equally applicable in many similar schools in Wandsworth.
GraveneyLady

Post by GraveneyLady »

Hi all - I'm back under a new name.

I used to be AdmissionsLady (from SGS)

Do feel free to ask me any questions you have about Graveney Admissions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now