Is it good to move from grammars to indies for A levels?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Is it good to move from grammars to indies for A levels?

Post by tiffinboys »

Some friends mentioned that grammars only allow 3 A level subjects, not 4 at A levels and suggested to move DC to indies when time comes for 6th Form, to allow for greater breath.

Is this a good move, considering the push for more state school children at Russell group universities?

Where does Tiffin stand?
Are 4 A level course allowed to be taken?
yoyo123

Re: Is it good to move from grammars to indies for A levels?

Post by yoyo123 »

I know plenty of people who have taken 4 at state secondary. YOu could always check with the school if you are not sure.

I've never heard of a 3 A level limit in grammars
mad?

Post by mad? »

Our local state secondary offers 4 and in exceptional circumstances 5 A levels. The local indie does as well, but is perhaps a little more rigorous about who can do what, whereas the state school bases it's decisions on gcse grades alone. Especially at A level, if I had a decent local secondary, for which I qualified, I'd send my DDs there.
mad?
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Most Grammar would like a DC do 4 AS and drop one for A2 if need. If the DC is doing well he or she could possibly take up to 5-6 A level if they are all A* or A standard. The school will only limits the number of subjects if the DC is no able to cope with the demand.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

That's what I thought till this weekend. But 2 parents (one with daughter in TGS as well) mentioned that TS allows 4 AS and a compulsory AS in General Studies; there-after, 3 A2 subjects - 4th only if it is further maths.

I had thought that children at grammars would normally take atleast four A2 subjects to gain the necessary breadth. Will also try to find it out from Tiffin directly, but would also like to hear from 6th form parents.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

tiffinboys wrote:Some friends mentioned that grammars only allow 3 A level subjects, not 4 at A levels and suggested to move DC to indies when time comes for 6th Form, to allow for greater breath.
I did 6 (plus General Studies), but at a state sixth form college. No fees!
Is this a good move, considering the push for more state school children at Russell group universities?
This is a complex issue. According to reports, Unis weight backgrounds anyway, so coming from a super-selective grammar, 4 As is nothing special, but at Bootle Comprehensive, it would be. Switching from Tiffin to Westminster (say), or vice versa, might have very little impact on your presumed degree of 'triumph in the face of adversity'.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you all for your responses. Still time, but just want to have a clear picture, before the time come to jump over the hurdle.
Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 »

Is it worth transferring to Bootle Comprehensive, then?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Suppose so, if one can manage atleast 2 A*-A grades with possibly, one B grade in the required subjects.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Golgo13 wrote:Is it worth transferring to Bootle Comprehensive, then?
Again, a complex issue, but apparently they look at which schools you went to from the age of 11, and your home postcode (allowances made for people living in poor areas), so switching at 16 may not have any impact regardless.

My main observation on this point would be that Oxbridge success rates for top private schools are very much higher than top state schools, so it seems that you would be better off in the former, from an Oxbridge perspective.