11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Carole Z

11+

Post by Carole Z »

Hi, I would like my son to take the 11+ this year, not for a grammar shcool place though, we live too far away, but to boost his application for a private senior school next year. Can he sit the exam in Berkshire or Bucks, if so how do I go about this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Carole

I don't know how much value there would be in taking the 11+ to boost a private school application, so I suggest that you check with previous parents or the school itself before putting him through the tests. His time might be better spent on improving his school marks.

However, to answer your question, he can sit the exam in Bucks regardless of how far away you live. All you need to do is contact Admissions at Bucks County Council.

One caveat though - when you say "this year" do you mean October 2007? If, as you imply, you are outside of Bucks, the closing date for registration for 11+ testing was September 7th (if your child were at a Bucks state school you would have until Friday 21st to apply). The Admissions process can be found here, with a timeline on Page 4:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get/asset ... t_0809.pdf

I'm sure someone will be along to advise on Berks shortly.

Sally-Anne
mike1966

Pratice questions

Post by mike1966 »

Sally,

Where can i get The 4 maths operations [ daily practice of approx 10 questions]
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mike

My apologies, I have not replied to your PM, however as you have posted the same question on the forum i will answer here...

There is no book to buy, I meant to say in my original PM that its up to you write out 10 sums a day eg.

56 + 67
74 - 38
6 x 7
double 17
half of 72
etc

Practice makes perfect. 10 sums a day for a whole year will make your child fluent in the basic 4 operations. You could have 10 doubling, 10 halving, 10 addition sums 10 mixed etc etc ...it is up to you.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi, I would like my son to take the 11+ this year, not for a grammar shcool place though, we live too far away, but to boost his application for a private senior school next year. Can he sit the exam in Berkshire or Bucks, if so how do I go about this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
So will he be the right age to sit 11+ (i.e actually 10+. it's to decide where they transfer to at 11+)? And if so, how come he'll be going to an independent school at 12, rather than either 11 or 13 - or are you a year ahead of yoruself?

But I'm more puzzled why you think it would help his application to a private school anyway. Why would they care, let alone be impressed that you seem to have hedged your bets? (And what if he fails 11+?) If it's just to gain practice, you can do that without actually sitting the exam. Even so, you need to be cautious as Common Entrance is nothing like 11+ (it's mostly subject-based papers, essays etc).