11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Are these books suitable for boys?

Post by fatbananas »

My parents recently gave me all the books I had as a child. Amongst them were

Jane Eyre
Little Women
Heidi

I remember loving all of these, but are they suitable for reading to/ with boys?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Are these books suitable for boys?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

They are often construed as girls’ novels. Girls usually choose it in school, while boys prefer something more brash, like Hemingway’s 'A Farewell to Arms'.

There is no harm in trying them out on boys, but don't be too surprised if they turn their nose up at them. Might not be too cool to be reading them on the school bus! :lol:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Pumpkin Pie. Is Hemingway a bit too old for a 9 year old? Or could he cope with it? I remember reading the Snows of Kilimanjaro and For Whom the Bell Tolls when I was about 20, but I was a late developer :wink:
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

Hmmm - I had to study Jane Eyre in secondary school and I found it so tedious I wouldn't inflict it on any child!

If you want your son to read more classics, then how about A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens? Many children like a ghost story! Then there's Huckleberry Finn or The Hobbit.

I gave up trying to choose books for my son to read a long time ago. He likes Michael Morpurgo and as long as he's reading without arguing about it, that's good enough for me! I did read somewhere that if you want a child to read more, let them choose, even if you feel they are comfort reading rather than stretching themselves.

If he's reluctant to read children's classics, perhaps you could read to him. That way you can spot challenging vocabulary and check his understanding. He could then read to himself whatever he enjoys.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Mamonaku. Yes, he's read A Christmas Carol and The Hobbit. Neither of us could get on with Huckleberry Finn. He is not a reluctant reader and frequently chooses his own books; but he doesn't know about all the great books in the world, so I think parent steering/ reading to him from such books is essential. If I had a girl, I would be reading Jane Eyre etc to them (I loved that book), but, as I have sons, I thought I would check.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I'll admit I couldn't see my ds1 being enthralled with Jane Eyre - certainly not at 9. The first books using an older style of language which really hooked him were some of the gothic Victorian Novels - Frankenstein and Dracula - and Sherlock Holmes. You could maybe try The 39 Steps too, for another older style one which has a storyline which would appeal more to boys.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Oh, yes, Sherlock Holmes. And Buchan. Brilliant!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you have a Kindle (other ebooks are available :D ) all the Sherlock Holmes books are free in one compendium. I hated Jane Eyre too, but loved Little Women etc, but can't imagine them appealing to boys.
scary mum
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

Dulwich Prep's reading lists for boys in various school years:
http://www.dcpslondon.org/page/?pid=182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Habs Boys recommend Animal Farm and 1984 for y7 boys.
https://isamsintranet.habsboys.org.uk/a ... 8&pid=3927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lucky you having an avid reader by the way!

PS my son enjoyed this book on the Dulwich reading list for the summer before Y7 starts -
Great for boys who like secret codes.

Secret Breakers: The Power of Three by H. L. Dennis
Last edited by Mamonaku on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

Ooooo - even more interesting - Dulwich Prep has a "Great Books List" divided into genres.

http://www.dcpslondon.org/page/?title=T ... 13&pid=187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now