remark & age weighting

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surbiton mum

remark & age weighting

Post by Surbiton mum »

Hi All,
My Daughter was offered her second choice. She is close to the cut-off score of TGS which is our first choice.
I am disappointed with her scores and highly doubt there could be an error as it was hand marked internally. Upon request they refused to remark, I was just wondering if I am within my rights to request TGS to remark stage 2 11+ entrance exam papers/scripts by appealing.

I also understand that TGS marks were not age weighted. My Daughter is August born can we take that as a point on our appeal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Etienne

Re: remark & age weighting

Post by Etienne »

Surbiton mum wrote:I am disappointed with her scores and highly doubt there could be an error as it was hand marked internally. Upon request they refused to remark, I was just wondering if I am within my rights to request TGS to remark stage 2 11+ entrance exam papers/scripts by appealing.
I don't think you could insist for appeal purposes.

Policies vary from admission authority to admission authority. Some admission authorities (in Glos., I believe) are prepared to produce scripts at an appeal hearing. Some authorities (Kent?) are even willing to do a remark free of charge. Others impose a fee - Buckinghamshire, for example:
    • Where a child has taken part in the 11+ testing process parents are able, upon receipt of the appropriate fee, to request the following (under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000):
      1. Raw scores - £10
      2. Test paper remark - £25 (£15 as the paper will be marked by hand plus £10 as the raw scores will also be released)
      3. Test paper analysis - £25 (as above)

..... The additional £15 fee (in 2 and 3 above) is payable as under Schedule 7(9) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the LA is not required to provide exam scripts or the information recorded in them, hence the LA is required to undertake extra work in order to provide the requested information.
In your case, I would want to know what checks were in place to lessen the chances of human error.

When you say your request was refused, do you have that in writing?

They may be reluctant to comply because it might encourage others to bombard them with the same request! Have you tried offering to pay an appropriate fee to cover the extra work they would have to undertake? If not, it's worth a try, because to an appeal panel it would show how very reasonable you have been.

Keep a copy of all correspondence for the appeal.

Will your current headteacher confirm in writing that the score was completely unexpected and ought to be checked? That could strengthen your case.
I also understand that TGS marks were not age weighted. My Daughter is August born can we take that as a point on our appeal.
You cannot challenge the system if they are following their published admission arrangements. However, as part of your own case you could quite reasonably point out that your daughter is August-born, and respectfully request the panel to take that into account. You could also point (very briefly) to evidence that summer-born children appear to be at a disadvantage if age-weighting is not used.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/98 ... rents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Surbiton mum

Post by Surbiton mum »

Thank you Etienne, Yes I have every thing in writing and did offer them payment.
The reason they gave me for refusal was that the papers went through a rigorous marking and moderating process in which the school has every confidence.
We are not convinced, very disappointed due to the lack of transparency and left with no choice other than to appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You seem to have done everything correctly. :)

At the appeal ask them to explain in detail the "rigorous marking" and "moderating process".
Etienne
Surbiton mum

Post by Surbiton mum »

Thank you Etienne. Will anyone be able to recommend any legal advisors whom we can consult prior to the appeal process.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We wouldn't normally recommend that.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi,

have you had any news from TGS re the waiting list or the appeal?

(I have a friend in a very similar position)
Chery1967

Post by Chery1967 »

Our process has been stressful because of underlying medical issues my son has. The school that my son took his test have been so helpful. While they would not issue a copy of the test paper, I was invited to view my son’s paper. It is marked twice as standard by 2 markers and marked a third time just before I visited.

There were no corrections to be made, but we received peace of mind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now