Kes v camp hill

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Indefinate

Kes v camp hill

Post by Indefinate »

Hi ds has been offered a place at KES & camp hill. I am in a dilemma in which to chose from - is or has anyone been in the same situation & which option went for. All help is appreciated, ds has had his heart set on. KES since yr3 but all is saying camp hill has brighter boys
rubidium

Re: Kes v camp hill

Post by rubidium »

If you do a search on this forum I think this topic has been covered exhaustively. Lots of plus and minus for each. There is plenty of advice on this specific matter on this forum. Good luck. Do you think IB is for your child for example?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Have you been round both of them again since getting the offers? It might (or might not) help.
KE hopeful

Post by KE hopeful »

Congratulations on getting both offers. My DD was in a similar situation with offers from Camp Hill and a partial scholarship to KES. She preferred KES but Camp Hill was nearer and obviously cheaper so we went for Camp Hill. She is in Y9 now and loves it there, is doing very well and has no regrets at all about the decision.

Don't forget that whichever school you choose your son will do well as they are both great schools - if money is no issue then it could just fall down to which is closest - travel is such a big thing and my DD loves the fact her journey is so much shorter than a lot of her friends.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

If you can afford it why not take up the KES place and free up a GS place for someone who doesn't have the option :wink:
Indefinate

Post by Indefinate »

That's my prerogative if can afford or not: by the way there is no discrimination for any basis for any1 not to be able to apply to an indie school as 100% bursaries are available-
robotboy

Post by robotboy »

Hi Indefinate,

We were in the same situation as you but we have now decided to send our son to CH instead of KES.
We are not keen on IB and prefers A levels.

Although both excellent schools !

Good luck with your decision.
Indefinate

Post by Indefinate »

Thank you robotboy & kes hopeful

We decided kes, ds wanted to go there since yr 3
Also looking at last yr stats for Gcse kes had more of a full hose then ch- small class size & more individual attention

Dd already in gs does not enjoy how things are done !
All children are left to teach themselves so be it, even heard from other parents in Walsall & Wolverhampton that they had to have private tutors just to bring their children to that level- not to sure what teaching is like at BIRMINGHAM schools can anybody comment
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Indefinate wrote:That's my prerogative if can afford or not: by the way there is no discrimination for any basis for any1 not to be able to apply to an indie school as 100% bursaries are available-
People are trying to help you here. No point getting defensive or being rude as it may reduce willingness to offer advice from the posters on this forum who have a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Indefinate wrote:Thank you robotboy & kes hopeful

We decided kes, ds wanted to go there since yr 3
Also looking at last yr stats for Gcse kes had more of a full hose then ch- small class size & more individual attention

Dd already in gs does not enjoy how things are done !
All children are left to teach themselves so be it, even heard from other parents in Walsall & Wolverhampton that they had to have private tutors just to bring their children to that level- not to sure what teaching is like at BIRMINGHAM schools can anybody comment
Is your DD at a Grammar in Walsall? Teaching at KES is excellent. Plenty of experienced and enthusiastic teachers. Can't generalise for the rest of Birmingham (don't know why you've put that in capitals, some would consider it shouting :twisted: ).

What specifically did you want to know?
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Indefinite,

If I offended I apologise but it was meant as a light-hearted comment hence the :wink:

It is true there is help through the AP scheme but there are not enough AP places for all who are eligible and so, as you will see from other posts on the forum, there are parents who have to turn down KES/KEHS places for financial reasons and may not have the back-up of a GS offer.