Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsBrownsBoyz

Quick appeals questions for Kent

Post by MrsBrownsBoyz »

Good morning,
i`ve posted this in the kent section as well,

This might seem like silly questions, but for people in the know i`m hoping you can help me.
I`m now having to appeal, child did pass.

1. Does anybody know when the appeals are heard, if the children who are appealing because they didn`t qualify are heard with the children who passed but didn`t get their choice of school.

2. Would the panel know the childs pass mark or would the appeals just go through on the evidence put to them from all the appeals.

3. Would the panel also know which school your child was allocated.
Etienne

Re: Quick appeals questions for Kent

Post by Etienne »

I feel sure some of the Kent parents will tell you of their own experiences, but be warned that the answers can depend on who the admission authority is, and on who exactly is organising the appeals.

LA panels which are hearing appeals for a community school, or which have been hired to hear appeals for an own-admission authority school, are more likely to be well-informed. However, you will get exactly the same papers as the appeal panel and the presenting officer a week or so before the hearing, so you will be able to see what information is included.

Even if the panel has been given very little information, be prepared for the possibility that they might ask you!
1. Does anybody know when the appeals are heard,
Admission authorities must publish their appeals timetable on their website by 28 February each year, but it might not be more specific than "May/June", for example, because it will depend on how many appeals are submitted, and on the availability of panel members.
if the children who are appealing because they didn`t qualify are heard with the children who passed but didn`t get their choice of school.
Quite possibly (because of the extra work involved in running a separate batch of hearings) - but again, it depends on the admission authority and on who is organising the appeals.
Etienne
MrsBrownsBoyz

Post by MrsBrownsBoyz »

Thanks Etienne for your quick response, we`re all gutted that our child passed the kent test, but will have to appeal to 3 panels, because DC didn`t get any of these schools, due to being all oversubscribed. Just find this process very very unpleasent at the moment and not very fair, as I expect alot of parents will feel the same. I can really understand the parents whose DC didn`t quite get the marks needed to pass and still wanting to appeal, but we passed and seems so unfair that someone else will get a place who has not passed and we do not get a place. sorry rant over :(
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi...If you want to let us know which schools you are appealing for one of us can probably give specific info. Certainly in West Kent I think that all appeals are heard at the same time. We have appealed to a few schools and two had kent test scores and all knew the offered school place. Let me know if you need any more help
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Can I quickly ask an appeal question please?

I need to include a bit of information regarding an extenuating situation regarding myself which may affected my dc.s results. Do I phrase 'I had...' as if it were a letter, or '*** had'?
MrsBrownsBoyz

Post by MrsBrownsBoyz »

tigger2 wrote:Hi...If you want to let us know which schools you are appealing for one of us can probably give specific info. Certainly in West Kent I think that all appeals are heard at the same time. We have appealed to a few schools and two had kent test scores and all knew the offered school place. Let me know if you need any more help
Hi Tigger, thanks for the quick reply, we`re appealing for Barton Court, QE and SLBG, I was wondering if the panels had both the scores and allocated school or put these details into my statement.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Usually the panel would have this information, all of what is provided to the panel will be copied out to you as well. If you want to use the scores as supporting evidence of suitability for that particular school of course you must use it in your own submission :D
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I should add it's not seen as helpful to say in your paper submission you are unhappy with the allocated school, but stick to why the school you appeal to is the most suitable for your child. I say this as you have asked if the panel will know which school you have been allocated. If they want to explore this further they will ask about it.

Good luck!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

pheasantchick wrote:Can I quickly ask an appeal question please?

I need to include a bit of information regarding an extenuating situation regarding myself which may affected my dc.s results. Do I phrase 'I had...' as if it were a letter, or '*** had'?
I would say it depends how you are writing it. If it's written like a letter it would be 'I had' because it's from you. To be fair though it won't harm your case if it's not perfectly written and if the panel don't understand something they will ask about it. You can also clarify when you get your time in front of them if needs be :)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure it won't be perfectly written!