Best Place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ranmis

Best Place

Post by ranmis »

My son is 8 yrs old. I would like him to go to a grammar school in future. We are therefore planning to relocate to an area where we can have the maximum option for grammar schools. However, we work in London, so this area should be at a commutable distance to London as well, with obviously lower house prices.

Can you suggest which place we should relocate to?
perplexed

best place

Post by perplexed »

How about Tonbridge? I think it is a good rail connection into London, and you would have Judd in Tonbridge (highly selective state grammar school) and Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys (pass only required) a schoolbus ride away in Tunbridge Wells.

Only thing to bear in mind is that if your son does not make the grade, not all the non-selectives in Kent are great. And you can get good results at some of the truly comprehensives in Surrey. So why not live in Oxted and go to Oxted School - look at their A' level results in detail and you will see some pretty good results there too. Good rail connection from Oxted to London Bridge ..... but not the cheapest place to buy a house.

Or consider Edenbridge - not as frequent direct trains into London, but house prices lower as a consequence. School buses to Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells schools I think from Edenbridge.

Check admissions data etc with the individual schools to be sure you are in with a chance before moving house!

Good luck.

Post by Guest »

I second what Perplexed said but would point out that Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells are also pretty expensive. Sevenoaks is nice but even more so.

You may prefer to look a little further East in Kent where prices are lower. There are two boys' grammar schools in Maidstone which require the same pass mark as Tunbridge Wells Boys' Grammar. Like TWBG they select on the basis of where you live. Judd and Skinners remain options if you put yourself near the railway (which you may want to do anyway to commute) since thay select on placing in the exam rather than whether you are in catchment.

For example, I live in a village on the line between Tonbridge and Ashford. My children have a choice of the Maidstone grammars (for which we are in catchment, so free bus travel) or the Tonbridge grammars (which select on score not distance) a short train ride away. Skinners in TW would also be an option in terms of getting a place, but is a poor commute. If you lived in Staplehurst you could add Cranbrook School (13+ entry, co-ed) to the list, giving you a choice of 5 grammars...

House prices are lower again around Ashford (which has grammars) although these may rise as the high-speed link halves journey times to London.

A still cheaper option is to move to one of the Medway towns, which will soon benefit from the high speed link from nearby Ebbsfleet to London St P. (15 mins I believe). These have a surfeit of grammar schools. E.g. from Rochester I think you would have a choice of at least 3 boys grammars within easy reach.

You will probably find, if you look into it, that you prefer particular schools to others. It is worth doing your homework, and maybe even visiting a couple, before committing to an area. All grammar schools are not the same!
Steph

Grammar

Post by Steph »

I live in Medway and my daughter attends Chatham Grammar for Girls. There are many other good grammar schools in the area with reasonable - but rising - house prices. As a guide, a 3 bed semi in a 'reasonable' area would cost approximately £190,000. Detached houses in 'nicer' areas start at about £250, 000+. Hope this helps.
kent1

Post by kent1 »

I would suggest Gravesend/Northfleet area..Gravesham borough.
There is Gravesend boys grammar school .Also Gravesend girls grammar school.Even if your child fails his exam,you would still get other schools within the area..Northfleet girls is oversubscribed!
Anyway,Rochester/Strood have cheaper houses too.A three bed semidetached house is average 200k in Gravesend.
Most of the professionals in Gravesend work in London.You are not alone..join the club.
There is even a coach company RELIANCE that transport workers to London and bring them back home from work.First coach leave at 6am.You can't go wrong choosing Gravesend area.
Lots of parents are moving out from London to Gravesend area for same reason...Grammar School for their children.
Join the club.You are not alone.
Ebbfleet train station will be opening soon...fast train to London.
Grumpy Old etc..

Post by Grumpy Old etc.. »

I'd agree with Medway towns.
Some areas are pretty grim but there are nice bits in and around and as Steph says, plenty of grammar schools.
Should be easier than Maidstone or Tonbridge/ TW etc...?
katel

Post by katel »

Faversham?
Sittingbourne?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now