CRGS & Rugby & Sport

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toolate

CRGS & Rugby & Sport

Post by toolate »

My DS is rugby mad - and quite good. If he were to get into the team (I hear there is only one) does anyone know which day is after school practice, and what day matches are generally on.

I was also thinking of signing him up to Colchester Rugby Club in the hope that some other boys from school might also go....??

It may very early for these types of questions, but having two other DC's I need to plan some extra help at these times and the sooner I know the better.

Many thanks - for any sport related advice
crgsmum

Re: CRGS & Rugby & Sport

Post by crgsmum »

They have a first and second team for most years. The standard is very high. My DS played in the second for most years despite having played since he was 5 and being reasonably good, he is small though and there are some very very big boys. The day for rugby varies from year but I think it is normally Wednesday for year 7s. Some boys are members of local rugby clubs but, as they come from all over the place, I am not aware of there being a large contingent at Colchester rugby club but may be wrong.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Does he play for a Club currently ? Ipswich YM Club may well have CRGS boys. Its actually the Colchester Rugby Festival this weekend. The season doesn't carry on for too long, with lots of Festivals - Ipswich and Sudbury - which means often established teams are sent to play. Perhaps he should join a club in September.

CRGS U13's are playing Campion School this Sunday also. http://www.schoolsrugby.co.uk/School.aspx?ID=712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thanks guys, for the replies. He hasn't been playing for a club since we moved to the area as Sunday was our only free day and I had to give it over to 11+ (and the post 11+ chillout which seems to have gone on and on), but since he will have so much more free time next year, we are keen to get him playing club rugby and debating Ipswich vs Colchester.

I don't know much about it - but other parents tell me he's quite good and the teacher said he was his best player and took him to represent the Midlands for some club thing recently. He is quite big (long out of age 13 clothes...) which helps.

We made a bit of a decision that if he got into CRGS, we would have to boost the extra-curricular activities at home - scouts, rugby, sailing to try to keep him off the computer. Sadly, he is not a bit musical.

If anyone has any good ideas as to how to keep a pre-teen busy - please throw other ideas into the pot.
We are sort of between Ipswich and Colchester.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

While thinking about all these pursuits bear in mind the fact that the boys get quite a lot of homework. An hour and a half a night is expected in year 7. My DS (year 8 ) is in the choir and learns violin and doesn't have a lot of free time! :-)
toolate

Post by toolate »

Yes - I was thinking about that. But hoping the weekends could be busy with activities...and maybe the odd one in the week.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

If he is talented at rugby then your best bet really is to join a rugby club. We've been with Woodbridge for 4 years, its a very friendly club. The Ipswich clubs are a bit more complicated as there was a split I believe in the junior squads so you might be best looking at Colchester. You will be giving up every Sunday morning from the first week of September until May... there are festivals they have to travel to which take up more time. So you will loose out on a Sunday. If you're near the Orwell then sailing would certainly wear him out but obviously is a time drainer (and finance drainer ! as well). Ipswich does have a brilliant Hockey Club if he fancies that but it would clash with Rugby.

As advised the homework will really drain him so perhaps you don't want to shock him too much.
toolate

Post by toolate »

I am longing for homework!! Anything to separate him and Minecraft where I think he would spend the whole day if I wasn't constantly finding other activities.

Agree a rugby club is the best idea...thats No1 on our list.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

I do think playing Rugby with a club is very good for boys. A group of them put together from many different schools and backgrounds. They have to work as a team, take direction from strong male role models.. and they actually have to learn not to REALLY hurt each other.

Having said, a few weeks ago I spent an hour lying on a wet rugby pitch with a boy who had stopped breathing for a few seconds and gone blue after a very hard tackle. All was fine after a trip in an ambulance but its not for the faint hearted. If you're worried about broken collar bones, - scarred legs and the odd facial injury on your son then choose chess !! If you can cope with freezing rugby pitches, instant coffee, bacon sandwiches and a mud covered car (and son) then its for you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

mikedellfarm wrote:I do think playing Rugby with a club is very good for boys. A group of them put together from many different schools and backgrounds. They have to work as a team, take direction from strong male role models.. and they actually have to learn not to REALLY hurt each other.

Sorry, don't mean to butt in but anything with rugby in the title tends to grab my attention :oops: I would concur that club rugby is the best bet and would add that in my opinion part of the joy of it is that my DS's meet boys from all different schools. It widens their social network and is a great way of meeting other boys they wouldn't normally come into contact with purely because of time restraints and being at different schools. My other tip is to buy yourself some top quality thermal underwear :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now