Backup plan for Reading Boys Oct-2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

etranger

Backup plan for Reading Boys Oct-2013

Post by etranger »

Reading this forum I have chilling feeling that it is quite late, but let me try to ask anyways.

So, let’s say we put choice 3 and 4 grammars in Buckinghamshire (all outside catchment area) and let’s imagine DS will do well enough on the exam for school 4.
But what will happen next?
Will that school place him on waiting list for everybody outside of catchment area?
Do grammar schools generally accept applications from pupils outside catchment area?
What if such pupil does well on the 11+ test ?
Will this increase chances getting place offered at school 4?

What would be the recommendations for game plan?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by etranger on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Re: Backup plan for Reading Boys Oct-2013

Post by Reading Mum »

I can't advise on catchments but there are also GS in Slough if you want to stay in the general area.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

You might get more help asking on the Bucks forum, because I have no idea how their grammars work, apart from the fact they have a lot of them!

Is Ranelagh the only one you would consider more locally? What about the Wokingham comps - they have some decent schools. I'm just linking to Waingels because they have all the Wokingham GCSE and A level stats on the front page - http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHom ... pID=191978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Bearwood, Luckley Oakfield and Bluecoats are private schools, and Holt is girls only, save you some searching time :) )
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

And to give you an indication as to whether you would get a place at the Wokingham schools, this year's allocation list.

http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/EasysiteWeb ... Attachment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
etranger

Post by etranger »

thank you all for responses.

I think it makes sense for me to start separate thread in Bucks section - will do so...

Regarding Waingels College I concluded following:
allocated: 250 pupils
202 pupils are either from designated area, or with siblings.
33 pupils - from other areas (gives a bit of hope)

However, I found this doc about Waingel:
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDow ... Id=2683169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" The school is popular and is always over-subscribed. The school catchment area covers Woodley, Charvil and surrounding areas. "

Is my understanding correct ?
Last edited by etranger on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

One of my DDs friends applied to Waingels this year and did not get in, living quite close to Woodley.
A colleague of mine lives in Bracknell and has a son in year 4. Most in his area apply to St Crispins and that was his plan too, but this year no one out of catchment without a sibling got a place and he is rethinking his plans.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I have a friend whose DD has got a place at Ranelagh from Twyford but this is very much playing the church card (it is a strong part of their lives, not just a ploy for a place) and required significant input from their priest.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Some friends' of mine applied to Waingels for their dd last year - she didn't get a place straightaway but was offered one by the summer. They're a mile or so west of Reading town centre, so way out of catchment too. The dd actually now goes to The Downs, even more out of catchment! There's always a chance - and whatever happens in October and March, you can then go on any waiting list you fancy.

It's a very difficult choice. Good luck :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now