Parmiters

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Confused as well

Parmiters

Post by Confused as well »

Could anyone give any advice for what to expect for my DS in the first year at Parmiters.

How much homework per night/week, that kind of thing.

Also, does the school still expect monthly voluntary contributions?

Many thanks for any advice given.
Cutting42

Re: Parmiters

Post by Cutting42 »

No personal experience but from friends whose kids are there.

Homework in year 7 is high in volume but not in complexity. It is designed to shock them into secondary life and the amount of work expected from them. It is not hard but it keeps coming but it does ease up after Christmas a bit. We have experienced this at the Grammars as well so I expect it is deliberate.

The Grammars, Parmiters and Ricky all ask for monthly donations in the region of £35 per month per child. Possibly the other consortium schools do as well but I don't know for certain. It is voluntary but the schools do wield the guilt trip stick with some force during the first few weeks or year seven as well as at the pre school year meetings. A popular tactic is to say "If you could have guaranteed a place at our school before the selection process with a donation of £35 per month I am sure you would all have jumped at it".

Ultimately your choice, it depends how you feel about donating to the schools or not as the case may be.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

If you want to donate, I'm pretty sure they'll accept whatever is offered. They also have a lottery, but I can't remember how it works.
Confused as well

Many thanks for your replies. Sounds reasonable but I couldn't find it on their website.
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

Yep, agree about the amount and complexity of homework - also, make sure you have plenty of ink cartridges handy as there's a lot of printing out of images, 'leaflets', etc to do! None of it is hard, but it is relentless, though has slackened off this term. In terms of money, there was a hard sell at the start, but now it seems to have totally disappeared. I don't know anybody who's paying any vol contributions at all, never mind £35 a month.
zonti

Post by zonti »

The recommended contribution is £10 per family per month.
watmum

Post by watmum »

Yes, the recommended montly contribution is £10 per family per month. Quite a lot of families don't seem to give it, although plenty take part in the lottery.
Confused as well

Sorry if this sounds a bit naive but any advice on the CAT's in a few weeks?
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

In the nicest possible way, a complete waste of everybody's time since they're not streamed any more. Nice for them to see the school, not so good to only associate the school with tests. After they come out, they get given some bumph about life next year which is of interest.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is there no streaming at all? DG