Looking for more order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thisandthat3

Looking for more order

Post by thisandthat3 »

Where would you put Letts? I understood it to be on the slightly easier side but DS who achieved great scores with Susan Daughtry and in the 90s with Walsh has completely slipped with these Letts ... 10% or so. The vocab seems to have completely thrown him although looking at the answers doesn't seem that hard. Silly errors elsewhere. Not sure if this is just a wobble (not had the easiest time in school the past few weeks) or a more serious gap in his knowledge. Any thoughts?

ps - thanks hermanmeister - hope all is going well
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Looking for more order

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

bump
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

I would also put Letts on the easier side, although it does depend what his strengths are. It could just be at he's getting fed up. Personally, I wouldn't be doing lots of papers at this early stage, but rather concentrate on vocab and basic solid mathematical theory (bodmas etc). I didn't do any test papers until July/August time, although one or two earlier ones for a gauge as to where he's at wouldn't hurt. A few children at my DD school had loads and loads of papers from may onwards and some of those "dead certs" by way of their home and tutor test results actually didn't do so well on the day. There is a view that some children can peak too soon. The tutor we had initially for DD told us she wasn't even Ribston standard (her school said otherwise). I got fed up with the way she was being tutored, so I took it over and she went from strength to strength. Vocab was the biggest thing and DD is still remembering words and using what she learned from her vocab cards. She was on the wait list for Pates and is going to go to Denmark Road. seriosuly, the best thing you can do for your son is buy the **** verbal reasoning flash cards...all three sets and leave the tests until the summer. good luck.
thisandthat3

Post by thisandthat3 »

Thanks. He hasn't done many tests so far - just a few from various packs I had for DS1 to gauge where he is, but I think you're right at putting papers aside for a while. They just aren't for him at the moment. Thanks for the vocab card ideas. I'd been wondering about buying a pack and that's made up my mind: ) I'm almost certain though that BODMAS isn't in the Glos test.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

The tutor we had initially for DD told us she wasn't even Ribston standard

Ouch!!

Thanks for the tip about the Farquhar cards though. Congrats on you DD passing for Denmark.
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:The tutor we had initially for DD told us she wasn't even Ribston standard

Ouch!!

Thanks for the tip about the Farquhar cards though. Congrats on you DD passing for Denmark.
Oops, that didn't sound too good....historically (but not necessarily now or in the future) for Ribston the girls didn't need to achieve such a high score as for Denmark Road or Pates. Any better? I think I'm correct in saying that as my older DD passed for Ribston but not for Denmark Road a few years back. I think though, due to the rising popularity of Ribston, that may change and spaces tighter...
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

fairweathergardener wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:The tutor we had initially for DD told us she wasn't even Ribston standard

Ouch!!

Oops, that didn't sound too good....historically (but not necessarily now or in the future) for Ribston the girls didn't need to achieve such a high score as for Denmark Road or Pates. Any better? I think I'm correct in saying that as my older DD passed for Ribston but not for Denmark Road a few years back. I think though, due to the rising popularity of Ribston, that may change and spaces tighter...
Cheers, was having a VERY bad day, so a bit snappy! (meant what I said about your daughter and the cards though). You are right, the pass mark for Ribston is still lower than Denmark, although as you say, I think things are starting to get a bit closer now. Have been worried about DD, who although being really happy at Ribston, was very much giving us the impression she was struggling but after going to parents eve last night, it would seem that she is completely wrong (she's way harder on herself than she should be!). Arghh kids.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I got the impression the Ribston teachers seemed pretty happy with the whole of year 7 from last night's parents evening.

DD is really happy with her choice - she scored well enough to go to Denmark Road and Stroud High butpreferred Ribston right from the start.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now