Newstead Wood Appeal Advice - Pixiedust101

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Newstead Wood Appeal Advice - Pixiedust101

Post by hermanmunster »

pixiedust101 wrote:Hi

My DD scored above the historical cut-off but not high enough to be offered a place yesterday. She was three marks off. She was so convinced that because she was above this cut-off she would get a place she was so upset that she cried herself to sleep.

We are reasonably happy about her second choice, it is just a bit of a journey (30 mins by coach) whereas NW is a mile away. NW was our first choice mainly because of its closeness to home. My DD has MND which can make her very tired, and at times affects her mobility. I do have a letter from her neurologist recommending a local school, with lifts etc.

We are trying to decide whether to appeal or not. We have real concerns that as she would have the bottom score whether she would struggle.

Does anybody have some actual experience as a parent of a NW pupil? Or any views on how children with lower scores at super selectives get on and any advice as to how to go about appealing? Would we be presenting academic evidence or just medical evidence? She's at Level 5 atm and will more than likely be sitting the level 6 sats in May.

Thanks
Pixiedust101 is looking for genuine helpful advice. :wink:
DC17C

Re: Newstead Wood Appeal Advice - Pixiedust101

Post by DC17C »

I can only say that my dd did not get a brilliant score for her GS test (but did not have years of tutoring either) but was doing really well in her primary school - top groups- level 5s alround and she has been absolutely fine in her grammar school- in fact doing very well- top group for maths and fab reports.
I will be appealling ( but not your area) this year for DS who just missed the cut off score but level 6 reading and maths & 5a writing.
pm me if you wish
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

Thanks for the encouragement and reassurance.

My husband and I will be appealing so look forward to supporting each other through this!

I guess the first thing we will be doing will be finding out exactly where she is on the list, alongside encouraging her to see the positives in her allocated school, which is a fab school - just a little far!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would we be presenting academic evidence or just medical evidence?
Both - if both are relevant.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B1. Introduction

a. This section deals with appeals where you are addressing the issue of non-qualification in the 11+ entry test(s) for grammar school.

b. It might also be relevant if the 11+ score was one of the admission criteria, and the score achieved was not high enough to gain a place. If you have evidence of very high academic ability – and possibly of extenuating circumstances too – then, in addition to any arguments dealing with the oversubscription part of the appeal, you may wish to put forward a case that your child was expected to perform even more highly in the 11+ than he/she did.
and
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C2 (a). At Stage 2 the panel will want to hear your reasons for wanting a place at the school in question. Reasons will probably include one or more of the following:

(i) It’s the catchment school.
(ii) Proximity. Although not in catchment you live very close to the school.
(iii) Logistics. Getting to any suitable alternative school would be logistically difficult. (You would, I suggest, have to prove this, and I think the degree of inconvenience would need to be considerable). See C19 .
(iv) There is a sibling already at the school. (This may or may not be a sibling as defined in the admission arrangements, but that doesn’t necessarily matter if both children would be at the school at the same time – an appeal panel is not limited by the admission arrangements, it is free to consider any argument parents wish to put forward.)
(v) Family links. Other family members are attending or have attended the school. (Perhaps not a strong point but worth a brief mention.)
(vi) There are strong educational reasons. (I don’t mean a preference for a type of school such as a grammar school – I mean something specific on offer at this particular school which is not available at any suitable alternative. You would need to show why this is so important.
(vii) There are strong medical or social reasons why your child needs to attend this particular school. (These are often the most compelling reasons, but you will need proof, and you will need to demonstrate convincingly why this school is the best solution.)
Etienne
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Brilliant - thank you guys

Time for some homework for me!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Pixie dust....you will not get better appeals advice than this forum and I have no expert advice to add but as a parent I think that you should have a go and appeal. Why shouldn't you-at least you will know that you tried. I have seen your remark about lower passes and your worry that your dd may struggle but you can not be sure that this would be the case..I spoke to a well respected gs ht last year who said that in his opinion children who had 'got in' with a lower scoring pass or on appeal almost always went on to do extremely well. There is also the 'on the day' aspect of testing...sometimes we are not on top form for all sorts of reasons. I am so sorry that your dd is devastated..as loving parents it is so hard to see this and know what to do for the best...is your offered school one you can be fairly happy with? I think an appeal is worth a go but would advise keeping the focus on the offered school . Good Luck and let us know how you are getting on xx
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

tigger2 wrote:Pixie dust....you will not get better appeals advice than this forum and I have no expert advice to add but as a parent I think that you should have a go and appeal. Why shouldn't you-at least you will know that you tried. I have seen your remark about lower passes and your worry that your dd may struggle but you can not be sure that this would be the case..I spoke to a well respected gs ht last year who said that in his opinion children who had 'got in' with a lower scoring pass or on appeal almost always went on to do extremely well. There is also the 'on the day' aspect of testing...sometimes we are not on top form for all sorts of reasons. I am so sorry that your dd is devastated..as loving parents it is so hard to see this and know what to do for the best...is your offered school one you can be fairly happy with? I think an appeal is worth a go but would advise keeping the focus on the offered school . Good Luck and let us know how you are getting on xx
Thank you Tigger - your words are much appreciated.

We've got a bit of a game plan now :

- Primary head teacher/teacher meeting to discuss whether they will back academic side of appeal
- Contact NW, find out where we are on list
- Contact allocated school about ehat they can offer dd
- Visit allocated school with DD
- Contact local authority re. transport options
- Gather all medical evidence

We are going tell allocated school we will be appealing for NW because of its proximity to home - would hate for them to spend any unnecessary funds.

Will keep you all updated
PD101
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Just an update - we've been offered a place at Newstead Wood from the waiting list - very, very happy :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That'd briiant news - happy Easter!

As a GS teacher I can assure you that our best students are not our highest scorers on entry ...
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Yipeeee! Excellent news for you & your DD

Looks like you'll be having more than one Easter egg this holiday. :lol: