How does standardised score work?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hjhj

How does standardised score work?

Post by hjhj »

This is an eye opener,a score of 252 would get you to WGSB AND WGSG,maximum marks in Maths were 141 and VR 141.If you follow NFER explanation getting 100/100 raw score would get you 141 in Maths and 100/100 in VR would get you 141 if you born in september,whereas, if you born in August 92/100,93/100 would get you 141 in VR and 141 in Maths. Very very simple but?
We know someone very exceptionally gifted DS,DD,got 111 in Maths born in October.They could not resist,could not believe,DC kept crying a week saying I did not got more than 4 questions wrong,maximum six if everything goes against me,mum rang,inquired,they had very very close to 141 in VR.
Got paper remarked and were told they had 88/100 raw score in maths but were only given 111 standardise score,because they were born in October and Maths paper was easier.
Experts on this forum ,especially very helpful people like DAOGroupie to please shed some lights.,and educate everyone.
Is it possible?
yoyo123

Re: HOW DOES STANDARDISED SCORE WORK

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They would be standardised against children born in same month, 85 - 115 being "average"
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I have suspected for a while that the mean raw score in Maths is very high. If 44/50 gives a child a standardised score of 111, then this just confirms my suspicions. I think that a significant number of children get 47/50 and above.

My son (March birthday) got 136 in Maths. I am guessing he might have got 49/50?

Unfortunately, without knowing the mean raw score and standard deviation, there's a limit to how much we can speculate. Thank you for sharing this information about one child's raw score, birth month and standardised score, as this does shed light on how many mathematically able children get lower standardised scores than they were expecting.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes, there were a few shocked people when the results came out, but bear in mind this is the first year we had a breakdown of the scores.

I asked about my son's raw scores. He got 114 in maths, his raw score was 45 out of 50. September birthday. So every error was costing him 5 standardised points. By comparison his VR standardised score was 134 raw score 92 out of 100. So yes, your scores look accurate.
Queenie

Re: How does standardised score work?

Post by Queenie »

Can I ask how you managed to find out the raw scores? I would love to know what my ds got.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I just wrote to the school he sat the test at asking for raw score under the Data Protection Act. I had a very prompt reply.
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

Thanks Hairydog. :)
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

I have just received my sons raw scores. He got 115 in maths, 45/50 raw score. November Birthday. His VR was 121 but his raw score was 82/100.

It seems very unfair that he does better in Maths (he is taking level 6 maths but not English) which is his preferred subject but gets a lower result! :?
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I know Queenie, same here! I think it's a whole combination of factors, a relatively easy paper, so high average score, favours careful and accurate working. Literally one wrong answer or a few months in age can separate successful from not.
hjhj

Post by hjhj »

And Guess!The ds,dd i talked about.They still got in because scored 140VR and 111Maths (inner catchment).Just proves exceptionally bright children having slightly bad day in Maths are out.
But not trying to take anything away from dc who got in.Excellent for those who got in,just wanted to start a discussion to help future parents,don't take it easy,If your dd,ds did not have a great day in maths the way SW HERTS CONSORTIUM WORKS YOU ARE OUT.6 MISTAKES IN MATHS PAPER WOULD MEAN EITHER GET 141,140 VR OR IT WILL BE UNLIKELY.
Now we know why dc were very upset about their Maths results.All good teachers will know the fact"brighest children can also have a bad day"