Self-guided GCSE astronomy

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mother night

Self-guided GCSE astronomy

Post by mother night »

My year nine daughter is very keen on doing the astronomy GCSE- over two years with exams in 2015.

The school she attends does not run the course but her physics teacher has said he'd offer assistance if she needed it. I have found an online company who run the Edexcel course and I would be very grateful if anyone has any experience or advice.

Thanks

MN
hermanmunster

Re: Self-guided GCSE astronomy

Post by hermanmunster »

I had a go using an online course - plenty of help and very interesting, some good books around - having said that I know a lot about astronomy anyway so it was more revision. Local school also ran course in evenings for parents / sixth formers etc.

Main problem was the rather prolonged controlled assessments which have to be done somewhere eg at school or a specific centre - can't do totally home based coursework any longer. best check with the physics teacher re this bit...
mother night

Post by mother night »

Many Thanks HM

You have confirmed what I was most concerned about and an offer to help with course work is not an undertaking to invigilate numerous assessments!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DS has just done this course as a 1 year twilight subject (1 hour after school). The theory is not too difficult and much can be self taught. This free site covers the syllabus:

http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/AstroGCS ... dexNew.htm

And this is the set text book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Astronomy- ... 226&sr=8-1

However the controlled assessment is (as hermonmunster says) the problem. The two projects can be done at home for the data gathering and photo taking, but must be typed up under controlled (exam) conditions. 6 hours were allowed per project. The projects are marked by the teacher (does the online company do this?) and only moderated by the exam board.

If the physics teacher is keen try to persuade him to let a small group do it after school as a pilot. :wink:
mother night

Post by mother night »

Thanks Minesatea

I have looked at that site and have though asking about a pilot group as my DD does have some friends who are interested. It may be a bit of an ask but I think without this support it would be very hard to manage the tests.

Thanks
MN
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think there are bits of funding available for such things -

http://www.stfc.ac.uk/Public+and+Schools/1396.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

I don't know where you are based but I think that I've seen in the past that Greenwich observatory run this course.
P's mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now