Other Languages

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ahap

Other Languages

Post by ahap »

When looking for info online, on other languages and qualifications that you can get it showed that OCR offers only up to intermediate level of some of the languages also ends in 2013. Therefore Edexcel IGCSE is better it seems but I have no idea.

Do you or your DCs have any experience learning a Language that is not provided by the school, eg: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by ... languages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and if so how did you go about it and when did you start?

How long was the course?

What sort of qualifications did you go for? Is there any other alternative qualifications?

DS is in Year 7 & is learning MFL French and he'll be introduced to MFL German in Year 8 in school, so learning another language at the same time would be good I thought.
We hope for him to be fluent in the language, read, write, translate, grammar, literature and so on. A qualification will give him to work towards it and it will be properly done I feel.

I would like to get as much info as possible from you all please, experiences etc.. please help.
eg: Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Cornish, Greek, Gujarati, Hindi, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Punjabi, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Swedish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu, Welsh, Yoruba.

Thank you.
Last edited by ahap on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 15 times in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Re: Asset Language

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, can you clarify your question?

'Asset' is a completely different assessment system to GCSE.
ahap

Re: Other Languages

Post by ahap »

Sorry, I wasn't being clear :oops: . I have now corrected the question. Thanks Guest55. I was looking into this.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by ... languages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.