Re: NFER results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stube

Post by Stube »

First post. :D

My DD recently did a few standardised tests (NFER) and I hope they will qualify her for our local grammar school. Trouble is I have no idea what the qualifying score for grammar schools in general are.

For mathematics, she obtained a standardised score of 126/96th percentile rank.
For Non-Verbal Reasoning, she obtained a standardised score of 139+/99th+.

She also two other mathematics tests and obtained 134 and 122 respectively. She logged 121 for the first Non-Verbal test.

Would these results be sufficient enough for grammar schools generally or do they require a slightly higher level of aptitude to meet the necessary proficiency standards?
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

Ill still trying to work things like this out but I just went to the county website and it states on there scores needed for last years. Maybe your area will be the same :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Presumably these are CAT results, which in themselves won't qualify anyone for grammar school but might indicate that someone might be in a good position to pass.
scary mum
copella

Post by copella »

They seem to indicate your dd is at a good standard. However it depends on where you live as the standards needed vary on area and on which schools you are applying for. Also another variable is performance on the day. At my ds's primary quite a few scored 130 plus in nfer tests but not all did well in the exams. It seems to be a combination of hard work and luck in the end.
Stube

Post by Stube »

Thanks for the replies. I do recall it being said somewhere that standardised results other than those from 11+ are merely designed to give an indication (at that stage). I'll look into our local area and see what the qualifying score is.

Hopefully, she does well this time round.