Year 8 SATs level

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gameon

Year 8 SATs level

Post by gameon »

Hi there,

Has anyone knows what level children should achieve at the end of year 8 for Math, science and English?
Our son had been given 6B maths, 6A for English and 6A for science before the Easter holiday. I thought they should get level 7 in year 8? I thought my son is well settle, doing well at school, so I can concentrate on the 11+ for my second child, but looks like he is not up to the standard? However, in his math exams, he has always scored over 90% and at one exam he scored 100%. Science he always scored above 80%. English is his weakest subject. I am surprised to see his Math level is 6B and English is 6A. His predicted level are all 8As. I am not he can achieve this by end of year 9?

Confused mum.
Gameon.
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Year 8 SATs level

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

On my DS's school reports they actually state what the expected average levels are at the end of each academic year. Check your school report, they should state what is expected, otherwise these levels are meaningless to us all!
Last edited by Pumpkin Pie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

The rule of thumb is 2/3 of a level of progress in a year. So a child who got 4b at the end of Y6 'should' be at 5c at the end of Y7 and 5a at the end of Y8. They'd then be expected to get a 6b at the end of KS3.

If his prediction for the end of KS3 are level 8s, I would assume he was well above average at the start of secondary school. So yes, he's well above 'average' at this stage... but not necessarily on the same curve as you (or the school?) are expecting.

I'd speak to the school. They may be 'underpredicting' at this mid year stage to push him on. M
gameon

Post by gameon »

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.

Yes, I must speak to the school when they re-open after Easter break. I just checked his last year report and he hasn’t moved at all for Maths (He was 6B last Easter too). It is very worrying as he is doing well at school but still seem to be slipping. He is in the top set, so they can’t be giving him the lower-set papers?
Ok, I must put this to a side, and speak to the school when they open.

Game on
ahap

Post by ahap »

This time the report that was given by DS's school (good comp academy) is much clearer. I thought I'd just mention it here. It could give an idea.

From what I can understand is that these targets were not set from his Sats/Cats.

Two Targets were given for improving attainment.

1. TML- Target Minimum Level- represents the National Curriculum level in the subject that 50% of students in similar schools and with similar prior attainment are expected to achieve by the end of year 7.

2. TAL- Target Aspirational Level- is the level the student should aspire to achieve by the end of year 7 and is based on the expected attainment of the top 20% of the students in similar schools and with similar prior attainment.
(Perhaps this 20% could be relevant to GSs? Someone will come along to clarify, I'm sure. :P )

These are year 7 targets, so as mentioned by mindset 2/3 sub level higher at year 8 may be?

English: TML-5b TAL-5a .....................so in yr 8 TAL-6b/6a ?
Maths: TML-6b TAL-6a......................so in yr 8 TAL-7b/7a ?
Science: TML-5a TAL-6c......................so in yr 8 TAL-6a/7c ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW is it going to be Red/Amber/Green from next year?
Last edited by ahap on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The maths does look a bit low. Our top set are all level 7 now ...
ahap

Post by ahap »

So in year 7 the target should be level 7 is it?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No this is Year 8 we are talking about.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I see, so the Target Aspirational Level I mentioned above for year 8 is correct I suppose?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ahap my post was replying to the OP -

Yes the TALs look similar to where our Year 8 are. Bucks GS select the top third ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now